We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

Saw this article in The Age about the laneways of Melbourne and the cafe,bar and eating culture;

theage.com.au/travel/in-the-shadows-20100212…

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

Thanks Andy........interesting article. I just love Degraves St. You can't beat that atmosphere!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

thanks 6sandy, I will put this on my loitering list for next week ;-))

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

I also like the atmosphere in Degraves street (and the laneway opposite) amongst others. Specially the Cupcake shop (yum);

http://www.littlecupcakes.com.au

And there is also now a Grill'd Burger store (freshly made burgers) - opposite the Belgian Waffle hole in the wall cafe.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,026 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

On our last trip to Melbourne we found the Tourism folks have a leaflet which is a guide to the laneways with a suggested walking tour, complete with map and historical information about the various shops and areas. We really enjoyed spending a morning wending our way around the laneways, as did a young couple we met carrying the same leaflet :-)

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

O to have been the writer / taster of that article. There are so many new laneways with delicious eating/drinking establishments to discover. Most used to be dirty rubbish littered places definitely not to be visited let alone eat in! This excludes Block and Royal Arcade where there was always a decent cup of tea and scones.

Thanks for the article 6andy6.

6. Re: Melbournes laneways, cafes, bars and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 16:16