We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report, of sorts

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report, of sorts

Hi all

Back in NYC after a lovely 2 weeks in Melbourne! It was strange going home. I concurrently felt like I'd never left, and also that I'd been away a long time. Odd.

There isn't too much to say about my trip apart from reporting on restaurants, but given you helped me with coffee recos before I left, I thought I'd give back!

A couple of things I noted:

*Melbourne is really expensive. Cocktails for $17 are NY prices, and often NY prices are cheaper than that. Pub dinners at $23 weren't cheap either. Dresses I can get in Saks for $300 are $800 in Myer, and this is not just an exchange rate difference!

*I love Melbourne pubs.

*Melbourne coffee is still fantastic in flavor, but not served hot enough for me now I have been drinking NY coffee.

Saturday night catch up location:

Marquis of Lorne, Fitzroy

-- a great place, very neighbourhoody, cool but not to boho or grungey. A large group had dinner and although our waitress had attitude, the food was very good. We took the 3rd level for ourselves after dinner. The only con being there is no bar on the 3rd floor so you have to go downstairs to get drinks. As we started the night on the ground floor, this meant we experienced all of the pub in one night. Very reasonably priced drinks. The night ended with souvlaki on Brunswick St. Perfect.

Brunches:

Atomica, Brunwick St, Fitzroy

-- Terrific coffee (5/5), although would have preferred it a little hotter. Great breakfast menu, but unfortunately the poached eggs were overcooked and the yolks were solid. Not just on my plate, but also 4 of my fellow diners. My friend who ordered the banana French Toast loved it.

Another place starting with 'A', Gertrude St, Fitzroy

-- this was very busy and we had to wander for 20 minutes and then they called us when our table was ready. Excellent food including yummy potato hash brown and perfectly cooked poached eggs. Coffee 4/5.

The little place without a sign next to True Blue Shoes on Sydney Road, Brunswick

-- Great bircher muesli on a lazy Monday morning. Lots of berries and nuts mixed in. Yum. Coffee 3/5.

Dinners:

Napier Hotel, Fitzroy

-- good pub food in a fun atmosphere. Despite previously living in Fitzroy, I had never wandered these streets and found them charming. Love the old Town Hall and Library.

St Jude Cellars, Fitzroy

-- dinner is a misnomer as it was just cheeses and wine, but it was a dinner substitute. Really enjoyed the service (I am not a fan of goat cheese, but the waiter happily gave us a portion of the blue/goat cheese before we ordered to see if I liked it).

The Cellar Bar, City

-- We had intended the pre-theater prix-fixe at Grossi Florentino's grill room, but arrived 20 minutes too late (ir finishes at 7pm). We happily settled for a quiet table for 2 and enjoyed our pastas and wine, as well as some of the most delicious prosciutto ever as an appetizer salad. We'd both go back.

Drinks:

Carlton Club, city

-- This place is really nice and I think the outside area would be great in summer. That had some great cocktails.

Southpaw, Fitzroy

-- Again, really cute and great cocktail list.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report, of sorts

Hi Kate

I'm not surprised to hear about "warm" coffee as that's how the Italians make it and prefer it - something about burning the beans if it's hotter. I always stipulate "hot" these days because I don't like warm coffee either - lol.

Glad you enjoyed your time at home, however with the onslaught of Aussies going to NYC courtesy of some cheap airfares, you should hear our familar twang all around the place !!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report, of sorts

Oh, should also mention my celebrity sightings, as everyone thinks they'll see celebrities in NYC - this goes to show it happens in Melbourne, too.

*Rose Byrne in Gorman, Brunswick St, Fitzroy. She was in the dressing room next to me and tried on the same dress as my sister. She was very nice:

Us: That looks terrific on you.

Her: It looks great on you, too!

Us - later: How on earth can you buy a dress that Rose Byrne was standing in beside you? She is tiny, after all!

*Alan Brough: on Saturday morning about 10am. He looked like he was hungover and had just popped down the road to get the paper before getting in the shower.

(Opposite end of the spectrum to Rose Byrne!)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report, of sorts

aww i love rose byrne! i think she is just adorable and i hope we see more of her on screen soon.

thanks heaps for all the run down on places, some more to add to my list of places to try!

glad you enjoyed being back!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,443 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report, of sorts

What a great trip report Kate and one which can be easily read ( hooray for paragraphs ! )..

I've actually saved your report for my next visit to Melbourne - exploring Fitzroy..

Thanks for sharing,

EM.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report, of sorts

Im like you Kate, I always ask for "hot" coffee! There is nothing worse than getting a luke warm cup.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report, of sorts

Great trip report Kate, glad you enjoyed your return home! I'm glad you're saying Melbourne is expensive because I'm trying to budget my trip and I'm hoping to find things really cheap when I get overseas!

I'm also not a big fan of warm coffee and have to ask for extra hot every time. That's not fair about the celebrity sightings, I think the only 'celebrity' I've seen was Hughesy! LOL

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
2,067 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report, of sorts

Kate, good reports but could you kindly do individual reviews of the restaurants and cafes that you mention through going to 'write a review', selecting the radio button of 'restaurants' and then tapping away?

If a place has not ever been previously reviewed and isn't in TA's database, you now have to wait for a confirmatory email from TA staff (which can take, it appears, up to two weeks) but if someone else has beaten you to the punch, you can write the subtantive review immediately.

This gives restaurants (as it does with hotels and tourist attractions) a relative popularity ranking and is important because the score that you award out of five can push a restaurant's ranking up or down.

Many thanks.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report, of sorts

That all went by so quick Kate. You didn't mention your trip to the G, little Gazza was out I think for your visit but just another win for the Cats. They are playing the Doggies tonight and I expect a close game.

Glad to see you enjoyed the Napier. I love the "real" pubs of Fitzroy, the Standard, Napier, Rainbow, Rose to name a few. No pokies, no pretence and usually good, reasonably priced food.

How were your flights and who did you fly with?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report, of sorts

LOL Victorianlad - are you trying to teach a granny how to suck eggs?!!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report, of sorts

Great report, I found the coffee comments particularly interesting.