We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice / good tips / ideas for driving to Melbourne from Brisbane and then back again?

We are looking at taking two to three days to get there, spending 8 nights in Melbourne and then taking three to four days coming home.

Particularly interested in finding out where are some good stopover points?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Bellarine...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,778 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

I have done the drive twice now, last time was a few years ago. Our first time, we went through Sydney to catch up with some friends, so stopped overnight there and then the next day up along the Pacific Hwy. This was a long drive with too many stops and reasonably heavy traffic. On our second attempt, we took others advice and went the fastest and most direct route, via the Newell Hwy. I am trying to recall where we stopped overnight, I think it was Parkes. We had two drivers, so the driving load was shared but it is still a long time in the car....around 20-22 hours of driving time. The Newell is a lot quicker than other routes but be warned, it is long, flat and very boring. Road kill is a real eye opener as well, so be very careful driving this road at dawn or dusk times especially. WE actually clipped a kangaroo about 7am, one bright, sunny morning....very close call. If you wanted too, you could take 3 days on the drive down and stop at Parkes, then Tocumwal on the Murray River before a final 2.5 hour drive into Melbourne.

Have a good think about doing this route via car, you will really have to enjoy driving and also long stints in the car. Good luck

Southern Alberta
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

North of Melbourne is Echuca, on the Murray River. Take a paddle steamer ride. We enjoyed it.

Stop at Gundagai and have dinner at the 'Workers Club'

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
1,878 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

If you MUST drive (I prefer to take the train one way and fly the other, with a stopover in Sydney between train journeys), then travel via the inland one way and the coast the other.

On the inland (Newell and Goulburn Valley Highway route), excellent stopover points are Coonabarabran and the historic ex-goldmining town of Forbes. The latter has some beautiful buildings.

Avoid Dubbo: too many problems with Aboriginies (regrettably true).

As suggested by the previous poster, Tocumwal is a lovely spot with its own beach on the ('Mighty') Murray River.

Via the coastal route, you can travel via Bairnsdale and Eden (Princes Highway East ex Melbourne): stop off at Pambula or Merimbula, or even Tathra off the highway. You could then stop off in Sydney, then Taree or Kempsey, then Coffs Harbour before driving to Brisbane.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

i have done this drive once - melbourne to noosa return, and I will never do it again. especially as you can get reasonable airfares.

When you consider the petrol cost, and accomodation cost it really is not worth it.

However, if you must do it then the easiest way is inland via the Newell HIghway, and as already mentioned it is long and boring. There are a lot of trucks that pass this way and a lot of road kill.

The pacific highway - although longer is more scenic, and you can find some ok places to stop.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

Thanks everyone for all of the tips! :)

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

It's about 1700k between Melbourne and Brisbane. The most direct route is via Dubbo, about 840k from Melbourne. So if you want to do it in 2 days. Then I would leave Melbourne at day break. You will be in Dubbo mid afternoon. It's a great spot to stop-over and no real problems between tourists and aborigines as suggested above. Stay at the Matilda Motel in the Executive Rooms. Short walk to the RSL.

If you want to stretch it out into a 3 day epic, then why not stop at Griffith, then Moree, then Brisbane.

Or why not see some of the real outback through Cobar, Bourke and Brewarrina?

This is the road train route between Melbourne and Brisbane and they go that way for a reason. Just be aware that your travel will have to be during daylight hours once you get out west as the roos are a real problem. So leave after sun up and be at your destination well before the sun sets.

Its a great drive if your not in a hurry.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

If you do stop in Moree, then let me know. There are some fantatsic motels there with very hot artesian bore baths.

It is a must to try out and quite medicinal!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

Gee that was a nice sterotypical comment in there. I just saw on the news that a young white guy threw a rock at a person in a shop. Better watch out for them as well. People should try and keep their racist comments to themselves.

Sydney
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

I really believe it is far more economical to fly one way and drive the other.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving - Brisbane to Melbourne (and back)

mmmmmmmm........ victorianlad, that comment may of be uncalled for.