We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Haunted Melbourne Ghost Tour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
The Haunted Melbourne Ghost Tour

I did this tour last night. I've "lived" in Melbourne for more years than I care to remember. Last night I crossed over to the other side to experience a night time part of Melbourne that is so long lost forgotten.

The tour is conducted by the wonderfully theatrical Drew Sinton. He owns The Haunted Bookshop at 15 McKillop St in the city. The tour is run on each and every Saturday night. It's amazing how the bouncers at the pubs and nightclubs you wander past know exactly who you are...have they seen things before??

It comes near to our tour time at dusk and we are let into the bookshop two at a time to pay for our tour. Once upstairs inside the bookshop with the surrounding funereal pipe organ music, you pay for your tour (the cashier has obviously taken advantage of one or two Morticians make-up secrets, we later learn she is the tour psychic) and then told to wait outside the book shop for the tour to begin.

Our tour guide appears dressed in appropriate black with a snake wrapped around his arm. We are led to a quiet courtyard nearby the bookshop to await the tour to begin.

We are told that Melburnians (the natives to the city) are the ones looking the most glum on the tour. That is that we have only just discovered the tour. International tourists have known about it for years. So sets the standard for the tour...one of great humour.

From here on in we are taken on a wild journey. You either beleive in the paranormal or you don't. One thing that stands out is that you are taken on a history tour of this fair city called Melbourne. You are taken on a journey from where Melbourne was first settled to where the pioneers of this fair city were buried (and the results will surprise you).

We are also led to where recent "ghost" sightings have occured. You will need to use all of your senses. Silence, Concentration, Listening and your own personal psychic abilities. There is one spot on the tour where this writer definately felt the presence of Melbourne past. All I can say is that when you are given the chance to re visit this spot later after the tour - take it up...the man with the axe and the dead possum will leave an impression...

If you don't beleive in "ghosts" then take the tour knowing you are in for a very hands on historical tour of the city. If you do believe in what is out there, well then you might be surprised...

I've lived in Melbourne for many years and it was fantastic to see the city through new eyes. It's amazing what you see when you look at the city throuh new eyes...

Spookily yours,

MagellanMelbourne

Escape Discovery Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
The Little Penguin Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Melbourne Boutique Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Outback Billy's
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Haunted Melbourne Ghost Tour

thanks for this report. i am very interested in such.i do believe,and i also believe that my power to sense as such increased after my near death experience!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Haunted Melbourne Ghost Tour

My hubby and I also did this tour a few years ago and also found this to be a fantastic tour- even on a historical level. There is so much in the CBD that we didn't know about that we learnt on this tour!

The tour guide is awesome too- he fits the part so well!

Sydney
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Haunted Melbourne Ghost Tour

Great review :) never been on this tour but hope to go one day!

4. Re: The Haunted Melbourne Ghost Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 07:19