We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Victoria - 4 days?

manchester, england
Level Contributor
9 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Victoria - 4 days?

Hi,

It's going to be our first visit to Melbourne and I've got 3 places I'd like to visit outside of exploring the city and immediate surrounds; GOR, Echuca and the yarra valley. We probably have four days to perhaps hire a car and do all three or best to just do GOR by car with overnight somewhere and just go on day trips to the others (although can't find many options for Echuca). Any advice would be great as I'm conscious we arrive in high season early Jan so would probably need to book.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Victoria - 4 days?

You will definitely need to book, in fact, I'd say you will find it difficult to get accommodation along the GOR now but you'll find something if you keep looking.

Are you planning on doing the three places in consecutive days? If so I think it's a little unrealistic as you'll spend most of the time in the car. You could do two days along the GOR and day trips to the others - which are easier to reach by car given you will be going there and back in a day.

manchester, england
Level Contributor
9 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Victoria - 4 days?

Thanks, that's what I was starting to think. I'm tempted to just hire a car for the two days and then buy day trips to the others. There seems to be lots of options for Yarra and given my husband and I will both want to enjoy the wine, it might be a good option. But I can't see anything for Echuca. Will need to investigate more. Thanks a lot

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Victoria - 4 days?

Although there is a public transport option (train to Bendigo, bus onwards) the return times would have you there for only a couple of hours. If that's of interest I'll send you more details. Otherwise, I'd recommend getting the car again for another day.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Victoria - 4 days?

Hi, I just got back from a 4 day trip from Melbourne down the GOR and up to Echuca. To be honest 4 days is probably not enough. To do it in that time you will be spending all your time in the car. If you start your GOR trip with an overnighter in Geelong or Torquay you can do it in a day, but there are plenty of great places to stop along the way that you will miss.

I would hire a car in Melbourne, drive to Geelong (~1-1.5hrs) or Torquay (preferred) and spend the night. Head out early and beat the traffic. Stop and see some great waterfalls (not sure what they will be like in Jan), beaches and towns. You will be able to make it to Warrnambool by sun down but to really enjoy it book accommodation along the way and do it in two days. (maybe try Colac if you can't get anything on the GOR) Echuca is a bit of a drive, and allowing for a look around in Ballarat and Bendigo it will take you most of the day. Head down to the Yarra Valley from there. The highways are good and you make some good pace, but 4 days will have you rushing. 5 or 6 and you will do it comfortably.

Remember Jan is the hottest month so long hours in a car may not be a lot of fun. Maybe stay In Bendigo or Ballarat even, if accommodation is a problem in Echuca. Then simply drive up for a day trip to Echuca.

Either way, as others have said, booking is a must.

Edited: 25 November 2010, 23:13
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Victoria - 4 days?

the debortolli wine tour in the Yarra is great.

6. Re: Touring Victoria - 4 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2011, 15:40