We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific places of interest near Hobart.

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tiong Bahru...
3 posts
Save Topic
Specific places of interest near Hobart.

I am planning most of my activities around Hobart for my 6 days self drive in Tasmania, family of 5 including 3 children. Arriving 22 November 2011. May I know if we are able to see any Platypus near Hobart? Between Barilla Bay Oyster farm tour and Freycinet Marine Farm, which one is more worth visiting? Will there be any Abalone farm tour near Hobart, say the Tas Live Abalone, any tour available?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific places of interest near Hobart.

The closest place you'll reliably find platypus is at Westerway near Mount Field National Park. There's more information here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c140320/Ta…

Barilla Bay and Freycinet Marine Farm have very similar products - mostly shellfish. Barilla is bigger with a wider range and has a large restaurant. Freycinet is possibly a little cheaper, has a smaller range and very limited cafe seating.

You can do a tour of the Tas Live Abalone factory, but you need to have about four people. It's quite expensive and you're charged a flat rate for the tour. Notice that I mentioned that it's a factory. :)

Luigi

Tiong Bahru...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific places of interest near Hobart.

Thanks a lot Luigi, you are always very informative. May I trouble you for more please. The nearest zoo around Hobart and will the kids be able to see the following animals: koala, kangaroo, wombat and platypus? I we are able to see, feed and touch / pat all these animals, it will save us the trip to any national park (except Bonorong that we sure will visit) as we are not too keen on the forest type of walk. Other than the Tas Live Abalone factory tour, any chance to reccomend a life abalone farm tour?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific places of interest near Hobart.

The only wildlife park in Hobart is Bonorong. You can see kangaroo, koala and wombat there and the kids can feed the kangaroos and pat a devil. The only place to see platypus in a zoo is Platypus House at Beauty Point north of Launceston, otherwise you just have to get lucky and find them in a creek. That's not to hard.

Something Wild near Mount Field has most of these animals, but may be closed at the moment. There's also an expensive wildlife park at Taranna on the way to Port Arthur.

I really can't help with the abalone farm thing. Farming them is a new industry and they're very careful about hygiene so public tours are not encouraged. he wild abalone are caught by divers at sea.

4. Re: Specific places of interest near Hobart.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:16