We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
nicest town to stay on the East Coast

We want to stay one or two nights in a town on the East Coast do you have any ideas. It will be in Febuary.

Cheers

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Binalong Bay for the beach, scenery and facilities of nearby St Helens

Melbourne Aust
Level Contributor
156 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Hi Harro58, you did say a town in which case consider Bicheno - plenty of accom, and close to Freycinet Peninsula which is the big ticket item on the East Coast.

Alternatively you could stay at Freycinet Lodge or somewhere else in Coles Bay itself.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Thank you for your replys we think two days on the east coast so would it be okay to spend both nights at Bicheno and use it as a base then head on to Hobart. You people are a great help I'm still trying to work out if I want to go to Strahan and do the river cruise or spend two nights at cradle mountain.

Cheers Harro

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Where you stay depends alot on from which direction you are coming from. From the Central highlands (middle) or coming down from the north or up from Hobart? Though I have not stayed at Binalong, believe this area is almost a must see. Otherwise, Bicheno is quite central to see other areas in this region. Having recently returned from our third trip (12 days this time) we stayed at cradle to 2 nights at Cosy Cabins. Actually had snow one night- magical. This is obviously a national park area, so you have to enjoy the outdoors, hiking, walking etc. On a previous trip (in the month of Feb) we stayed at Strahan for a night and did a fly in trip down the river etc, which even though more expensive that than the boat cruise, it was much shorter (1 1/2 hr) and gave us more time to do other things around Strahan, but others will have their opinions also. Once again, it really depends on what you like to see.

cheers

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Oops, sorry, I forgot you were travelling up from Hobart. Forgot to check out your earlier posts.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Thanks Flossy, No we are coming from Launceston not sure if we should go via Scotsdale or down the middle. We hope to do most of the East Coast not sure on Port Arthur 3 days in Hobart Mt Field stay at Ross then Cradle Mountain. We could stay 2 nights at CM or overnight at Strahan and 1 night at CM. then Shefield ect leave from Launceston.

Sorry we keep changing our minds.

Cheers Harro

Ps I love the bush and scenery.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Query on Ross! Do you intend to stay at Ross then go back to Strahan, then Cradle? I may be misunderstanding the order of your itinerary.

I personally would suggest, the east coast, via Scottsdale, that way you can see St Columba Falls, & Binalong Bay, as suggested by others. Then enjoy the east coast down to Bicheno (perhaps do the penguin tour), then onto freycinet/coles bay. Stop over in Hobart and do day trips ( Richmond; tasman Peninsula) then head west to Strahan, then to Cradle Mtn area, Sheffield and then across to Launceston (perhaps doing Mole Crk Caves etc along the way). Your mention of Ross in the middle of your last reply seemed out of the way if heading to Cradle in mind. Tassie has a lot to offer which involes lots of driving, but enjoy the scenery.

Cheers for now

Tasmania
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Great idea Flossy. You could enjoy a day in the north East. Here ar some ideas:

1) Lauceston to Bridport via the the Batman Bridge and wineries (great beaches, excellent short walk at Granite Pt, Bridport) then back through Scottsdale to Branxholm-Derby area (great short walks from Branxholm - Chinese heritage mining walk & Brisies water race, Tin Centre in Derby - eat at a cafe/restaurant in Derby & overnight in the area)

2)Next day drive to Ledgerwood (famous carvings) then to Mt Victoria via Ringarooma(for a great short walk to Ralph Falls) keep driving to St Columba Falls (another great short walk), have a meal at the Holy Cow Cafe Pyengana then drive (right-hand turn) out onto the Tasman Highway. A short distance later take a left-hand turn into Anchor Rd (Halls Falls & Anchor Stampers - 2 more great short walks!). Then return to the Tasman Highway and continue on to St Helens. Of course if you had another night to spare in this area you could also visit Poimena and the Blue Teirs, Eddystone Pt lighthouse (overlooks Bay of Fires), Little Musselroe Beach...Blue Lakes... Mt Paris dam... in fact you need a week in the north East!

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Heavens Tassie now you've confussed me I have never heard of those places I will have to look them up thanks.

Flossy I was thinking of heading up from Mt Field to ross but I realize now there are two highways up the middle is that right, so I may have to re think that. Im not sure that we will go to Strahan but definatly Cradle Mountain. Did you have to book accomodation in Febuary we are hiring a car so dont want anything grand cabins and such will do.

Cheers Harro

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nicest town to stay on the East Coast

Wow, NE Tassie, I also didn't realise there were so many interesting places in the NE. As I have always said, tassie has so much to offer around every corner. after three trips we are still only scratching the surface (so to speak).

Harro- by the looks of it perhaps you need to give Ross a miss especially if you truly wish to see the sights of the East Coast. Strahan could also be given the bypass this time, depending on what you want to see and do. We have actually enjoyed our time around Queenstown, Zeehan and local towns. Our recent trip (aug) was the only time we did not actually have accommdation booked.(13days). We mostly stayed in Cabins in Tourist Parks and was VERY surprised at their quality for the price. The decor in some were well above expectations and all had everything on offer including shampoo and hairdryers, which surprised me for the prices. Ist Trip 10 years ago, being first, we prebooked everything, on that trip mostly B&B's (14days). 2nd Trip (7days-3years ago) we based ourselves at Sheffield for 5 days (to tour the NW cnr more), then headed down to Hobart finding accommodation at New Norfolk (The Shingles- where we actually returned this last trip). Feb is still a fairly busy time of the year for tourists in Tassie, so I would recommend booking acc, especially in the more favourite spots (eg Cradle Mtn region- this is an isolated area and national park and if staying at Cosy Cabins tourist park you need to take your own supplies for duration of stay- or else pay the earth for the daily basics). Hope these comments help.

Cheers