We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine tuning our Itinerary

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Fine tuning our Itinerary

Only two weeks to our departure so I would like to run our itinerary past the wonderful TA experts to fine tune it. My husband and I arrive at Hobart 6pm on 29th therefor just pick up van and groceries, night at Big 4 Airport.

- Richmond, Oatlands, Ross, maybe MONA night at Berriedale

- Huonville, Geeveston, Mt Wellington, Cascade Brewery, night at Berriedale

- Salamanca, Battery Point, Louise Walk, Big 4 Airport

- Tasman Island Adventure Cruise, Port Arthur Tour, night PA

- Sorrell, Orford, Swansea, Wineglass Bay, night Coles Bay

- Wineglass Bay etc night Coles Bay

- Bicheno, Bay of Fires, night St Helens

- Scottsdale, Georgetown cross Batman Bridge to explore west side of Tamar Valley - unsure where to spend the night

- Launceston, Evandale, Cataract Gorge, night at Launceston

- Make our way thru Deloraine, Devonport to stay overnight at NW, unsure where, any ideas??

- Down to Cradle Mountain, 2 nights at Discovery Park

- Zeehan, Strahan, 2 nights at Discovery Strahan

- Derwent Bridge, Hamilton, detour maybe Bothwell (or do that on the way up to Ross) New Norfolk (last night here or back in Hobart, unsure). Flying out 6pm so will still have a good part of last day to finish Hobart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

It's a pretty good itinerary, but there are a few driving issues in a van.

On Day 1, you probably have over five hours driving and therefore you don't have time to do MONA. I think it would be better to skip Richmond on that day and go to MONA and then up the Midland Highway to Oatalnds and possibly Ross if you have time.

Go to Richmond on the way to Port Arthur on Day 4 or through Sorell on Day 5.

Some of the things you plan to do in Hobart could be grouped together better. For example, Louisa's walk starts at Cascade Brewery at 2pm, so it's logical to combine that with the trip to Cascade in the morning. Have lunch in the Cascade cafe.

On the final day, it's a very long drive from Strahan to Hobart (over five hours in a van), so I don't think you have time to detour via Bothwell. You can certainly see the Wall in the Wilderness at Derwent Bridge and some of New Norfolk, but I wouldn't think you'll have time to leave the highway.

There are a couple of van parks on the west side of the Tamar at Green's Beach, Beauty Point and Clarence Point.

The caravan park at Penguin is in an idyllic spot for a sray on the NW coast.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

HI Beagle

your itinerary looks pretty good, and you've done your research. I am currently planning our 5th trip back for late April and also intend to Visit MONA, and have been told to allow at least a good day for this. Just keep this in mind. I guess it depends on how much you love art and spend viewing it. I believe there are many levels and all very interesting even though some of it is very direct/forward ( in your face/sexual conitations). To help with accommodation you could also check out www.caravantasmania.com.au which list most of the parks around Tassie, which may help. There is a park right next to Mona(Treasure Island ) and another near by at Elwick which may be Ok rather than going back out near the airport. Perhaps you could stay at one of these on the first night and do MONA in the morn before heading off on your adventures.

Cheers, Carol

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

This link may also assist you regarding Hobart.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20250-Getting_…

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

Agree with other comments....it's a good itinerary. Just to mention, you can't really plan Mount Wellington till you see the weather. Basically if you can't see the top from the city, it's not worth the drive! So keep an eye on the weather during your time in and around Hobart and go for it when you can.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

Thanks everyone for your tweeking, that's the thing it all looks so close on the map so trying to plan each day is tricky. Luigi I was originally doing the brewery and Louisa's walk in the same day but as we were travelling quite far afield on both Thurs and Friday I thought we could take off early and be back to do at least one in the afternoon, shame 2pm is the last tour (selfish I know - but hey I'll be a tourist) and I really want to go to the brewery when it is operating not on the weekend. May look at Richmond on the way to Sorrell as you suggested as we have to be at Port Arthur at 9.30 for the Tasman Cruise. Definately keen to stay at Penguin, thanks for that one. Might spend the last night at New Norfolk rather than Hobart, would like hubby to go to the oldest golf course at Bothwell at least for a drink. Hoping the weather is great to make it to Mt Wellington. Looking forward to all the great food and sites Tassie has to offer, I will be checking out the websites you have all recommended. Thanks Again, Donna

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

Ratho golfcourse at Bothwell is genuinely Australia's oldest golf course and there is a playable course there. There's also a museum of golf in the township. However, I'm not sure that it's much of a social destination. Nant distillery is just up the road a bit toward the Great Lake.

All the best for your trip,

Luigi

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

Thanks Luigi, have found your wealth of knowledge to be extremely helpful in our travel plans.

8. Re: Fine tuning our Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 05:39