We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Arthur or Hobart?

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Port Arthur or Hobart?

I think I'm going to be staying in Hobart but I am very interested in doing the night time tour of Port Arthur -- do you recommend booking a room nearby or is it ok to drive back to Hobart that night? (I'll be driving alone)

Tasmania
Level Contributor
20 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

Hi....Port Arthur is about 90 minutes drive from Hobart, but it is a very windy road in sections and i highly recommend you stay down there for the night. We did the 6.30 pm ghost tour and then the following day spent 4 hours roaming through the old buildings with the knowledge we had gained from the night tour.

We also visited the Taranna Wildlife Devil Park which was well worth a visit. It is 10km from Port Arthur. We stayed at Port Arthur lodge which has cabins in amongst the bush and is next door to the historic Port Arthur site.

I guess it really depends on how much time you have.

Cheers....Don

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

totally up to your budget and personal preferences.

we personally did the tour then went back to Hobart that eve.depends how late you mind driving and getting back to Hobart.

can always look at staying at Port A overnight though.

hire from a reputable company your car, as in Avis or others, all at airport, you should be ok to drive. we were fine, 2 females on own!

enjoy.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

We stayed overnight and had a good look around the area. Our son was only 3, at the time, so we didn't really like the idea of driving back to Hobart at night.

We really enjoyed the night tour!

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

Personally I would stay overnight, hire cars are reliable enough but there are a lot of animals on the road at night down here and the ghost tours at the moment dont start till around 9-9.30 and finish around 10.30-11pm then you would have an hour and a half drive back to Hobart.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

Don't like night driving for the reason stated above, wildlife on the roads. The ticket is valid for two consecutive days anyway. And there are other things to see in the area such as the Tessellated Pavement and the Blowhole. We enjoyed our visit to the wildlife park too. I think it's a shame Port Arthur is treated as just a day trip. If you have time definitely stay overnight. Felons Restaurant was really good, and being in the visitors centre it'd be very convenient if you're doing the night tour.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

Er, the original post is dated March 2006!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

Thanks Porge :-) The fact that none of the current Tassie regulars had replied puzzled me a little. Doh!

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

Don't worry tall Scottish one...

I am off to Tassie again at the end of next month and now I have a reason to get over to see Port Arthur..

My parents moved to Tassie 6 years ago...I have been all over the state except Port Arthur. As they live on Bruny Is, I have always thought it would be to much for a day trip.

Now after reading the last postings I will be packing my bag for an overnight trip... Does any one out there know of any decent places to stay at, and how much are the spook tours?

Warm Whitsunday Wishes,

SB

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

I did end up staying over night when I went and stayed at the Stewart's Bay lodge - I found it very nice, comfortable, the staff was great - and you can walk from your lodge to the historical site, so super convienent. I highly recommend the ghost tour -- it left me sleepless:-) but was a great experience!

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Arthur or Hobart?

Thanks Jlr,

That place sounds great... and it does sound very spooky being next door to all those ghosts

Cheers,

SB