We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How many days?

Hi guys,

We are planning to visit Tasmania next year, it will be our first trip to Tasmania and I would love some advice. We would love to see the Bay of Fires and Cradle Mountain. Any advice about how many days and other places to visit on the way between destinations? Happy to fly in or out of Hobart or Launsceston.

Thank you!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days?

Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page, especially the Touring by Car and Top 10 Must Sees. It would take about 10 days to do the big circle to see them all.

But then there are also Top 10 lists for both Hobart and Launceston!!!! It could take a lifetime! :))

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days?

Hi,

It depends how long you have for touring Tasmania ??

Its probably best to fly into Launceston & fly out of Hobart or do the opposite This will give you a good experience of Tassie. ie.

There are heaps of different itineraries you can do, it depends on how long you have & your own interests. ie..

Rough itinerary suggestion...

Hobart - explore 2 days

Drive to to Strahan.- explore stay overnight

Strahan to Cradle Mountain. - explore 2 days.

Cradle Mountain to Launceston. - explore stay overnight.

Launceston to Swansea - Swansea to Coles Bay - Stay 2 nights.

Coles Bay back to Launceston or Hobart.Depending on your flight.

…visitorsbureau.com.au/itineraries.html

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
843 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days?

We did Tassie many years ago and took our car across the water.

We really enjoyed the experience.

I think we did just over a week. My plan for next time, when I hope to go across with our caravan, we will take 2 weeks, we missed too much the first time.

Some people say 1 week is plenty but I disagree. We were getting into town at almost sunset and leaving the next day. You don't get the feel for a town when you stay for such a short time.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days?

We have been to Tassie 4 times over the past decade- a total of 7 weeks all up and still aim at going back again soon. There is a lot to see and enjoy, and any itinerary depends on your l ikes and dislikes. You have to work out how much time you wish to allocate for the visit, and depending on the season what you would like to see, after doing lots and lots of RESEARCH on the regions and what is on offer around every district to view or experience. We have been down there in all seasons and it has been different each visit. But, I also admit that we prefer going to the non touristy areas and exploring the back waters/hills of tassie. Asking locals along the way also takes you to some hidden/unpublised areas. Just to plenty of research and reading to wet your appetite. Obviously off season is cheaper for accommodation.

Cheers

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days?

Lived here for just over 7.5 years, still to see everything. And what I have seen I keep going back to see them again.

IMO all of the places mentioned below you should spend a minimum 2 nights. like Bay of Fires, Cradle Mountain, Tasman Peninsula, North West Tassie, Freycinet area, West Coast, East Coast, and the following should be Hobart 3+ days use as a base, Launceston 3+ days use as a base. Then there's the midlands road from Launceston to Hobart, and if you like histroy, it is really second to none with towns like Campbell Town, Ross, Oatlands and Richmond.

Then you have the seasons, I think most of us could go on.

Just allow as much time as you can afford, and desire, there is so much to see and do.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 29 September 2011, 18:52
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days?

I've been twice. First trip a full circuit from Launceston, three weeks. Second trip a circuit from Hobart, two and a half weeks. How long do you have?

7. Re: How many days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 04:18