We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland...
Level Contributor
78 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

We are planning a week's holiday in Tasmania in March. We're Queenslanders who haven't been to Tassie before, so we're looking for lots of advice.

The outline is - fly into Hobart on a Monday morning; fly out of Hobart the following Sunday late afternoon. (the flights are already bought, so can't change this). We'd like to finish the week i.e. Friday and Saturday nights in Hobart. So being in Hobart on the weekend will give us the chance to go to the Salamanca market, go to a good Hobart restaurant on the Sat night, and do some day trips Sat afternoon and Sun morning. Would like to go to Port Arthur as one of the day trips.

The first priorities are MONA, and the West Coast Wilderness Railway (one of us is into steam engines!)

So, we're thinking about MONA on day 1, followed by driving accross to Strahan. Go on the rail trip day 2, then stay a second night at Strahan or drive on towards Cradle Mtn. Any recommendations re staying for a second night in Strahan, or driving in the afternoon of day 2 to Cradle Mtn to stay there?

Then ?

The Tamar valley and Launceston look good, as does the coastal strip and islands on the east coast.

Would it work to have night 3 in or near Launceston, then night 4 on the east coast (Coles Bay?)

Then back to Hobart for nights 5 & 6.

We would like to include wineries, cheeseries, and other good food destinations in the itinerary.

And I'd like to see penguins!

We know it's more ideal to be based in one area and see it well, but our desire to include the west coast means that we will be doing a bit of driving and moving from one location to other most days. And we'll get a taste of Tasmania, and will know where to come back to for a longer stay next time.

Help needed!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
24,565 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

It's a 4.5 to 5 hour drive to Strahan, so you won't do much else the day you drive there. You certainly CANNOT drive there and do the Wilderness Railway on the same day.

Seeing that you have to end you time in Hobart, I'd get off the plane, pick up a car and drive to Strahan that afternoon (Monday). Next day (Tuesday), do the railway trip. Seeing you drove that far, stay another day (Wednesday) and do the cruise on the Gordon River. That afternoon, drive to Cradle via Zeehan (the short way out of Strahan).

Thursday spend some time at Cradle then drive to Launceston via the Tamar Valley (another long day's drive).

Friday, drive from Launceston down the Midland Highway and via the B31 through richmond and Sorell) to Port Arthur. Start real early and tour Port Arthur that afternoon.

Saturday, go to Salamanca Markets. do easy stuff around Hobart in the afternoon. Mount Wellington is good, as is Louisa'a Walk.

Sunday do MONA. Go early by car (opens at 10am). Drive to the airport. Fly home.

Success!!!!

Luigi :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
78 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

Thanks, Luigi.

This sounds very sensible and achievable (and fun).

My un-sensible question is - do I get to see penguins with this itinerary?!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
24,565 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

Your only time near the coast is at Strahan. You could do the Bonnet Island twilight tour for penguins: www.puretasmania.com.au/default.asp?pID=363

It's not a cheap tour, so you could also take your chances with a dusk trip to Ocean Beach.

Unless you're staying at Strahan Village (who will recommend their Bonnet Island tour) ask the proprietor of your accommodation for directions.

Luigi

Queensland...
Level Contributor
78 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

Luigi,

Just have to let you know that we're two weeks back from Tassie now, and I've just submitted my reviews.

We followed your suggested itinerary, and it all worked well.

Tasmania is beautiful, and we'll be back. As we didn't get to see the East Coast at all, that is our mission.

I didn't see a penguin! but I had a close up encounter with a wombat, so I'm happy!

and we ate and drank very well indeed.

On our Saturday afternoon in Hobart, we didn't do Luisa's walk, or go up Mt Wellington, but we had a very long and rewarding trawl through the Salamanca markets, ended up at the Lark Distillery bar, then I had a visit on the Bob Barker (Sea Shepherd), then a really lovely wander around Battery Point taking photos (before resting prior to an amazing meal at Garagistes). Days don't get much better than that! (the weather was gorgeous, also - fine and warm).

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
24,565 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

If you'd stayed a bit longer at Lark Distillery, I think you'd have seen the penguins, heggos.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
78 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

hahahahaha!

(and I have a whisky in hand as I read your reply!)

7. Re: 6 night / 7 day itinerary - suggestions welcomed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:42