We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 14 day fly, drive Tassie holiday

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning 14 day fly, drive Tassie holiday

I am planning a 14 day fly, drive & B & B holiday in early January 2011 for my husband & I.

I am overwhelmed with all the internet marketing, different prices and making the right choice .

Please can anyone help me so I don't have to invent the wheel.

If you recommend:

1. Reliable and reasonably priced car hire company (from Hobart airport)

2. Best places to visit (don't mind away from tourists)

3. Recommended B & B's in these places

4. Helpful hints

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,314 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 14 day fly, drive Tassie holiday

It's the same rental companies as elsewhere. all listed here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-s304/Tasma…

Try www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au for a good price comparison.

I 2 weeks, you can do a full circle around the island and see most of it. Have a look at this page for a route: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c119432/Ta…

Plan on doing a big circle around the island, with a bit of a detour into the centre as well.

What Tasmania is famous for is the history, the wilderness and the fresh food. Take a look at the Top Question FAQs in the upper right of this page and also the Hobart, Launceston, Strahan and Burnie forum pages for ideas.

Beyond that, there's pages on the left on hotels. I recommend the B&Bs which are on a separate tab off the hotels page.

If you have any further specific questions, once you have a feel for what you want to do, we'd love to help.

Luigi

Hobart, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 14 day fly, drive Tassie holiday

Hey there,

Bear in mind that the following comments are from a female 20-y/o student from Tassie, so what I like is not necessary what you'll like! But here are my suggestions :)

If you're coming to Tasmania, you'll obviously want to stop by in Hobart! Even if it's only for a few days, early January is when things are especially fun in the little capital. I'd recommend staying somewhere close to the general Salamanca area. Fountainside Hotel is a nice place to stay, and has pretty cheap rates on wotif.com. If you're happy to splurge, then Henry Jones is veeery nice. In terms of B&B's, I did a bit of research for you (as I'm procrastinating exam study at the moment), and Edinburgh Gallery is relatively close to everything and very decently priced. See www.wotif.com/hotel/View… When you're here, you'll want to check out Salamanca Markets on a Saturday morning. Depending on which dates you're here, either the Taste of Tasmania will also be on (which involves loads of food, street performances and general fun-ness), or MONAfoma (which is an arts festival with a great vibe).

After that, it's up to you which path you take, which will depend on how much ground you want to cover. One option is to go through Primrose Sands& Eaglehawk Neck, and down into Port Arthur. As you drive past Eaglehawk Neck and that general area, you'll find there's amazing scenery.. and if you're into beaches, it's one of the best. At Port Arthur there's bushwalks, historical sites, and the famous 'ghost tour' (www.portarthur.org.au/index.aspx?base=1459).

Another option after Hobart is to go past Orford, into the East Coast towns of Freycinet and Bicheno. At Bicheno is Wineglass Bay. Check out Wineglass Bay on google, it's very pretty, and also one of the top ten beaches in the world. I remember staying at Diamond Island Resort when I was there. It's really nice, very private, and hosts a little colony of penguins at the end of its gardens. From there, if you're keen for a lot of driving, you can head through to Launceston. From Launceston, it's maybe a two-three hour drive to Cradle Mountain. If you're lucky, it'll snow (yep, even in summer), in which case couple-dom is perfect. In summer, you'll probably find it's pretty quiet over there. In terms of B&B's, check out Highlander's Cottages - www.cradlehighlander.com.au/index.html. However, when I went to Cradle Mountain, I stayed at Cradle Mountain Lodge, which had an amazing (amazing!!) spa. Check it at www.wotif.com/hotel/View… At Cradle Mountain Lodge, they don't have tv's or internet or any reception... just a cosy log fire and aforementioned Waldheim Alpine Spa. Around here is probably where you're most likely to have encounters with the Tassie devil.. or so is my experience anyway. Wildlife walks and trout fishing are also common past times around this area.

On your way back to Hobart from Cradle Mountain, unless you're in a big tough 4wd, DON'T go back through the Lake Highway. I went that way in my little Daewoo, and the bumpy anti-car roads killed it.. :( Although a map may tell you otherwise, go back through to Launceston, and then back down to Hobart via the Midland Highway.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,

Rena

Hobart, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 14 day fly, drive Tassie holiday

Hey there,

Bear in mind that the following comments are from a female 20-y/o student from Tassie, so what I like is not necessary what you'll like! But here are my suggestions :)

If you're coming to Tasmania, you'll obviously want to stop by in Hobart! Even if it's only for a few days, early January is when things are especially fun in the little capital. I'd recommend staying somewhere close to the general Salamanca area. Fountainside Hotel is a nice place to stay, and has pretty cheap rates on wotif.com. If you're happy to splurge, then Henry Jones is veeery nice. In terms of B&B's, I did a bit of research for you (as I'm procrastinating exam study at the moment), and Edinburgh Gallery is relatively close to everything and very decently priced. See www.wotif.com/hotel/View… When you're here, you'll want to check out Salamanca Markets on a Saturday morning. Depending on which dates you're here, either the Taste of Tasmania will also be on (which involves loads of food, street performances and general fun-ness), or MONAfoma (which is an arts festival with a great vibe).

After that, it's up to you which path you take, which will depend on how much ground you want to cover. One option is to go through Primrose Sands& Eaglehawk Neck, and down into Port Arthur. As you drive past Eaglehawk Neck and that general area, you'll find there's amazing scenery.. and if you're into beaches, it's one of the best. At Port Arthur there's bushwalks, historical sites, and the famous 'ghost tour' (www.portarthur.org.au/index.aspx?base=1459).

Another option after Hobart is to go past Orford, into the East Coast towns of Freycinet and Bicheno. At Bicheno is Wineglass Bay. Check out Wineglass Bay on google, it's very pretty, and also one of the top ten beaches in the world. I remember staying at Diamond Island Resort when I was there. It's really nice, very private, and hosts a little colony of penguins at the end of its gardens. From there, if you're keen for a lot of driving, you can head through to Launceston. From Launceston, it's maybe a two-three hour drive to Cradle Mountain. If you're lucky, it'll snow (yep, even in summer), in which case couple-dom is perfect. In summer, you'll probably find it's pretty quiet over there. In terms of B&B's, check out Highlander's Cottages - www.cradlehighlander.com.au/index.html. However, when I went to Cradle Mountain, I stayed at Cradle Mountain Lodge, which had an amazing (amazing!!) spa. Check it at www.wotif.com/hotel/View… At Cradle Mountain Lodge, they don't have tv's or internet or any reception... just a cosy log fire and aforementioned Waldheim Alpine Spa. Around here is probably where you're most likely to have encounters with the Tassie devil.. or so is my experience anyway. Wildlife walks and trout fishing are also common past times around this area.

On your way back to Hobart from Cradle Mountain, unless you're in a big tough 4wd, DON'T go back through the Lake Highway. I went that way in my little Daewoo, and the bumpy anti-car roads killed it.. :( Although a map may tell you otherwise, go back through to Launceston, and then back down to Hobart via the Midland Highway.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,

Rena

4. Re: Planning 14 day fly, drive Tassie holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 14:16