We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

Not long returned from yet another fabulous trip to Tasmania (my fifth time) and exploring different areas and scenery. Before embarking on our 2 day trip to Bruny Island we o/nighted at Kettering at Talundena Cottage. Lovely setting with a delightful cottage with a very large bathroom. Next day caught the Ferry from Kettering to Bruny Island ($28 per car - this is a return cost ) then drove(about 40 minutes) to the office of Adventure Cruises (Yellow Boat) to check in before cruise and had coffee and muffins. Fabulous cruise with very professional and friendly staff. Besides the fabulous scenery of enormous cliffs, deep blue sea and intriguing caves we saw heaps of seals, in and out of the water as well as many sea birds, and were fortunate to have a very large school of dolphins accompany us for about 15 minutes - riding the boat's wake, swimming under the boat, beside the boat and in front of it. The boat also takes you through a tight opening between a very tall rock column and the cliff - great fun. Thoroughly recommend this.......you can come to Bruny Is and do this and return back to Kettering on one of the afternoon ferries, so no need to o/night on Bruny if you don't wish to.

We chose to stay 2 nights and had good accommodation, but getting the key from the Managing Agent was an "interesting experience" I do not wish to repeat. First night had dinner at the Hot House Cafe - excellent food(Ocean Perch with Prawn Sauce followed by Hummingbird Cake with Caramel Sauce) and a v.friendly host. Next night had dinner at the Alonnah Pub - excellent Seafood Chowder, Lamb Shanks, Thai Curry (my husband was eating too!!) Also drove to Cloudy Bay - isolated, pretty and a great surfboard riding spot. Another good small walk is the Mavista Walk - about 30 min return thru a beautiful fern and tree ferns rainforest. Also another walk well worth it is 60 min return walk to Grass Point - very historic as well. We also climbed the 200 steps at The Neck near the Penguin Rookery(my legs felt it the next day!). Fantastic views and well worth the climb! One day we had home made gourmet pies for Lunch from the Lunawanna Link. If you are staying for a couple of days it is a good idea to take provisions as shops, and choice of items, very limited.

After return Ferry ride back to Kettering we had lunch at Peppermint Bay Restaurant - great views and good food. Then drove along coastline via Gordon, Cygnet - this is very pretty with lovely water views and beautiful countryside. Headed to Franklin, Geeveston and our destination for that night was Dover. Stayed at Driftwood Beach House....very good with beautiful waterviews. We had an outdoor spa which we bravely got into about 9.30pm(after dinner and a few glasses of wine!) and saw an outstanding array of stars! Not much selection to eat at in Dover (Pizza was renovating, Club was not doing dinner and Pub was not recommended!) So we asked a local who suggested the Southport Tavern - this is a 20min drive and it was well worth it - it was like an Oasis in the middle of nowhere and we had excellent food - Bacon and Scallop Skewers, Pumpkin Soup, Snapper in Tempura Batter. Next day drove to Geeveston then on to Tahune Air Walk - it was a fabulous feeling walking amongst the trees so high up. The air walk is about 29km from Geeveston. Then on to Franklin and called into an Antiques Shop - jam packed with lots of antiques.

Continued on to our accommodation at Crabtree River Cottages - fabulous!!!! Stayed in the Emily Cottage - beautifully appointed, classy, cosy and warm.(refer to Accmd Reviews). That night drove back to Franklin and had dinner at Petty Sessions - yet another excellent meal - Liguine with Scallops &Salmon, Duck Confit with Cherry Sauce, and Baileys Brulee. My husband had Abalone Soup and Coq au vin. Next day back to Hobart and on to Richmond to have a look at the lovely shops, before going to airport. Had a wonderful time, but now need to go on a diet!

sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

Really enjoyed reading that. I think people will greatly benefit from all your fantastic dining recommendations.

Will especially come in handy when we explore down that way later this year.

Cheers

Sash

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

Hi kkcsydney,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences of Bruny Island.

We have visited Tasmania numerous times, I also love Peppermint Bay Restaurant and thought it to be excellent.

I'll ask DE Luigi to add your report onto the Tasmania Trip Reports - as it certainly will be valuable info for others especially regarding Bruny Island.

EM.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

What a great trip report!!

Glad you enjoyed this part of Tassie. As I often say, this is one of my very favourite parts of Tasmania around the Kettering, Cygnet and Bruny Island area. The food sounds absolutely delicious!

And I'll do as Ellemay suggests and add a link to your TR to the collection.

Luigi

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

Thanks for the great trip report kkc. I particularly loved the mouth watering detail about where and what you ate! I would love to be able to spend more time in this area, after reading of your travels.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

Thanks everyone, and especially Ellemay & Luigi for the link to my TR.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

Great TR.Loved the meal descriptions.Will come in handy as our next "tour' we plan for that area.Will be back for another 8 weeks October-December.

7. Re: Trip Report Bruny Island/Dover/Huon Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 17:16