We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

Taking a weeks break in my 10 week work stint here in Tassie.This trip was booked only 2 weeks out due to waiting on rosters.A few places were unavailable-Barnbougle will have to wait,or not suitable-no point staying at the Angasi apartment when the restaurant isn't open Monday,Tuesday.

First was hiring a car.Now normally I use a prepaid site such as Driveaway or Globalcars but this time a better rate booking Avis direct.Lesson one-always check all options.Not only that but upgraded.So watch out for a bright red XR6 this week.

First will be the drive to St.Helens.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

A leisurely start.Not far to our first stop at Christmas Hills for a cappucino and scones,jam and cream.A nice start to our trip.Next on to Lonnie and out on the A3 to Scottsdale.Hint-dont drive to the speed limit.This country is beautiful,enjoy it.Besides through the mountains the road does twist and turn.Able to spot many bird species including the blue winged parrot and green rosellas.

There are several really spectacular lookouts on this road plus spots where you can pull over and do a little walk in the bush particularly the Forestry areas.At Scottsdale is the Eco forestry display.We pushed on to Derby for a late lunch at the Tin Mining museum-costs $12 for adults.Cornish pastie for lunch-certainly not the best I have had..

Arrived in St.Helens and checked in to the Tidewater Resort-will do a full review later.We have booked a King Spa suite.Certainly a large enough room and a pleasant view across George's Bay.Doesn't quite live up to its web pictures with a very small shower and an old small TV.

After this drove out to St.Helens Point-reccomended.Some spectacular views,pleasant beaches and crystal clear water.The afternoon had become sunny and quite pleasant but out on the Point the winds were blowing.An awesome sunset.

Then to Latris for dinner.Again a full review later.A little disappointing.Oysters were fantastic but the pork belly was tough and the Bouillabaisse a little bland.Entrees,main courses and bottle wine=$140.

Next exploring around St.Helens.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,509 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

As usual, a very interesting report. I look forward to more.

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

Drron

Thanks as usual for your yummy posting. Haven't seen the XR6 but then to me it would just be another red car! Are you warming up for Targa? Shame Angasi wasn't open while you were there.

Lani

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

Tuesday morning and we awake to a lovely sunrise.Whatever else you say about Tidewater the position is good.Later I am out on our balcony.A seagull is swimming on the pond.A heron is walking around the waters edge,a cormorant sitting on a fencepost has its wings extended to dry.Sparrows and swallows are darting everywhere.Black swans and pelicans are on the bay further out.

We start today by driving to St.Columba falls.A great time to be driving-autumn colours are coming to the fore.Once again an impressive amount of birdlife.The saddest moment is seeing a green rosella staying beside the road,its mate dead on the road.The day is fine though a little cool this morning.

This turns out to be a good time to visit the falls as only 1 other car there.You can see the falls from the car park but an easy and pleasant walk to the viewing area.Not so fast back for us oldies.Then time to stop off at the Pyenga cheese place for our cappucinos plus scones,jam and cream.I prefer the offerings from the Cherry shed or Christmas hills-here the scones are smaller and I prefer the Ashgrove or meander creams-amazing I am becoming a Northwest Tassie ambassador!

We were going to go to the Blue tiers but notice smoke in that direction which becomes a lot worse as the day goes on.Instead we stop at the"Shop in the Bush".Now this was a surprise and well worth it.Especially for us older baby boomers.A fine collection of old books bringing back memories-Biggles,the outback books of Mary Grant Bruce.Funny was the collection of Enid Blyton books with the warning-"some of these contain Golliwog stories".

Next-Tuesday afternoon.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

As always, drron, an interesting read. More so for me personally as in 10days hubby & I are returning to tassie for a 4th trip, this time with 2 other couples, first timers. Our first three nights will be spent at St Helen's so I am enjoying your comments. Did you stop at the Pub in the Paddock on the way/or back from St Columbia falls? Where is the "Shop in the Bush"? Blue tiers is on our list for a visit also. Am I gathering correctly that the current smoke is due to burnings off. At this stage we may spend 2 nights at Freycinet also. Looking forward to your continued reportings.When at Tarraleah, don't forget to locate the long haired highland cattle.They are a picture to look at. So cute with their long hair dangling over their eyes, and those long horns.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

Flossy it was only 1030 when we passes the pub in the paddock-a little early so coffee and scones were preferable.The Shop in the Bush is on the A3 just out of St.Helens-also on road advertising as the biggest Bric a brac shop in Tasmania.

Luigi we were in Rojaan's favourite Tassie shop-Chickenfeed-to buy some bottled water.Noticed some plush toys(as you do with 2 young grandkids),only to find they were labelled as Luigi toys!Is this a new sideline?

Anyway back to the story.We were back into St Helens before midday and didn't feel like lunch so drove up to Binnalong Bay.And to the driver of the Green Getz rental-if you want to drive at 30Ks all the way pull over and let the cars behind pass-as I did coming back from Pyenga.

Unfortunately as you know Angasi is closed Mondays,Tuesdays.The dive shop had an ice cream sign up but nothing else-we decided to forego lunch.Actually glad we did not stay here as we would have had to drive into St.helens for meals.Ok if you want to stay a few days and self cater.

A lot has been written abot the Bay Of Fires-and it is spectacular.The beaches,the rocks etc and it is worth a visit-though I thought St.Helens point was also as beautiful.

The highlight for me was at The Gardens and the birdlife-a group of Sooty Oystercatchers and then a Pacific Gull-taking a shell,picking out a large flat rock and dropping the shell.On the third drop it was a dull thud so the gull settled down and enjoyed it's fresh seafood snack.

From there we decided to travel down to the Eureka Farms at Scamander.Lovely coffee and freshly baked cake.Interesting ice creams including quince flavours.Also lovely sitting outside and again the birdlife with musk lorikeets,wattlebirds and a cuckoo.

next-last experiences of St.Helens.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,509 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

Flossy, I'm pretty plush myself, but I don't market myself that way.

Just recently I discovered that Luigi Alterego is now a Super Mario Brothers game character. Do you believe that? Some people's lack of respect for another's intellectual property is shameful, I think.

Luigi

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

Just to put you at ease-I am not a professional birdwatcher but i do love nature and like interacting with our winged friends.I do not have a great memory for birds but the internet has made things easy.my 2 resource pages for Tasmania are first of all pictures-

www.pbase.com/tassiebirds/birds_of_tasmania

And then if I want more info,Wikipedia-

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Tasmania

This just helps me get more pleasure out of my experiences.

So to the last evening in St.Helens.First off it was sitting on the verandah watching groups of 2 of my least favourite birds-plovers and starlings-jostling whilst bathing in the little lake in front of Tidewater.We had purchased a bottle of wine and i went and got some fish and chips-The Captain's Catch(is out of the Latris kitchen).Unfortunately Salty Seas which was reccomended closes at 5pm.Got a serve of Flathead and one of Blue Trevalla.Now these are reasonable but I still consider getting snapper or any of the reef fish at the Bridge Seafoods in Mooloolaba is both better tasting and better value than Tassie fish and chips-sorry.

Next morning we headed south a bit after 9am.50 metres south of the St.Helens point turn off 4 green rosellas were beside the road.A little further on at a little inlet were 2 adult black swans with 2 cygnets.We went up St.Mary's pass but decided to continue on to the Elephant Pass Pancake Barn for brunch-and glad we did.

This place lived up to the hype.As we had not had breakfast I had the egg,cheese and ham but Rojaan went for the apple,cinnamon.Both were very good and the cappucinos suited us.I would reccomend this for a stop.

I did particularly like the sign on the wall-Surcharge for rowdy children $2.20.Applies every day.

Next-south to Freycinet.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

After leaving the Pancake barn it was down elephant pass.Has just been resurfaced so a bit hairy meeting some locals coming up the hill at speed-they are bad enough even when there are lines!But some great views to the Tasman Sea through the trees.

A stop in Bicheno for old times sake.We stayed at the Silver Sands motel back in May 1977.The feature then was a craybake-if I remember rightly a small cray in those days was $5.Funny,not advertised now.

Next a visit to a gallery on the highway on the south of town.Really interesting place but may be closing soon.We bought 4 books for the grandkids on the adventures of a little penguin.Turns out the owner was the author so she signed them for us.

Finally a short stop at the blowhole-unfortunately for Rojaan she got a little too close.The whole of this coast though is just beautiful.Decided that on our next visit to the east coast will probably stop here.

From Bicheno it is just a short run to Freycinet.I have my annual national parks pass as i have decided i will be back next summer-my winter job is in North QLD!

As we were a little early we drove up to Cape Tourville-the short walk here has absolutely fantastic views of the coast.It was also a fine day and quite warm which added to the pleasure.After this it was time to go back and check in to the Freycinet Lodge.

That is next.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR-Latrobe,St.Helens,Freycinet and Tarraleah.

The weather until now has been just perfect.On the way through Coles Bay we checked with Freycinet Sea Cruises to tak their Wineglass Bay cruise on the Thursday.Told it might not be taking place as forecast was for 6-8 metre swells.Put our name down anyway and had to ring the next morning to check.

Checked into the Lodge.We had decided to go the whole hog and had a Premier spa villa.These are terrific and have a view along Richardson's Beach.Impressed.As soon as we had unpacked it was off to the bistro for....wait for it....Cappucinos with scones,jam and cream.Eureka jam-thick and delicious,with King Island cream.After that it was obviously another walk-along the beach and back.

We decided to have Dinner in the lodge at the Bay restaurant.Entrees were fantastic.Rojaan had scallops on the shell with a cauliflower puree which were excellent.I had the Cioppino which was excellent and full of seafood.

The mains were a little disappointing.Rojaan had the ocean trout which was described as with lemongrass and shiitakke mushroom rice.The trout came with 4 skewers of lemongrass through it but no flavour was imparted to the fish.The rice was dry and bland.The fish though was perfect.

I had the duck with a tomato and been cassoulet-this part was great.The duck was moist and cooked perfectly.However no sauce with the duck and the cassoulet if eaten together overpowered it.So with a bottle of wine this cost $160.

Didn't hear anything at night and slept well.However our balcony showed the signs of nocturnal visitors.

Next-to cruise or not.