We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tassie Holiday- report Day 1 & 2

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tassie Holiday- report Day 1 & 2

Hi regular readers,

Well after many months of planning for our trip for 4 adults (this being our 3rd and we were taking brotherinlaw and partner), things changed 18hours before takeoff.

About Mid-arvo on Sat 2nd whilst I was still at work and had about 1hr to go, my husband rings me to inform me that his brother has just had a mild heart attack and has been shipped to Gold Coast Hospital. They are no longer going!. By the time I get home and we drive the 2 1/2 hrs to the hospital my husband is very anxious about his brother. We arrive 6pm. All is well and he has had a stent put in and on the road to recovery , but obviously not coming with us. They insist that we continue to Tassie. So after a couple of hours visit we head to brisbane for our overnight stay ready for departure the following morning.

Departed Brisbane flying direct to Hobart. Arrived about 12.30pm. Loaded into the Nissan X-trail that they had given us (I had asked for a full ford station wagon) but we took it anyway. Found our way to Cosy Cabins, Mornngton Hobart. Great 2 bedroom cabin, though near main highway, noise was not too bad, and location was central. Met up with the son of a friend and his partner who had both moved down there 4 months ago, who took us grocery shopping then we went to the Botanical gardens. Lovely place and we enjoyed a couple of hours walk around. Being from up north I was amazed to see jonquils, daffodils, snowdrops already in flower. As we were having dinner with some other friends who live at Opossum Bay (44klm sth from CBD) we got back to cabin around 4pm and headed off. By the time we got back we had done 116klms. After an emotional 24hr we were ready for bed once we had made a quick phone call to check on brotherinlaw.

DAY 2

Awoke to a lovely clear sunny day. Temp due to be around 15c. They were having a heat wave compared to the previous few weeks. Considering it had been 26c when we left home, we were pleased about he temp. As we were in search of Truffles(mushroom type) we head to Salamanca Place to "The Wursthaus Kitchen", a great gourmet deli who had them on sale. (found this amongst all my research).They were out of stock but getting some more in during the week, so we placed out order so we knew we could collect some on our return. Going price $3000 per kilo! I know, this is a very expensive luxury but we only had this one opportunity as they are only in seaason mid june till late august in tassie. We ordered 5-10g. Walked around the area before headng up to Mt Wellington. Wow we were so lucky. You could see for about 150klms in all directions (very rare at this time of year). Icy snow was still around everywhere but it was not cold. There was not a breath of wind up there at all. Spectacular day for pictures etc. We then headed to Richmond and had a late counter lunch at a pub. Very nice(even though pricey) but filled up us. We walked around Richmond=-oldest bridge(lots of ducks and geese near by), oldest Catholic church. Visited Zoo Doo (spent 2hrs here)-Australia's zaniest zoo!. Great animals-albino wallabies, bengal tigers, tasmanian devils, monkeys, camels, water buffalo, you name it, it was there. Returned to Hobart around 5.30pm and spent quiet evening at cabin before leaving hobart in the morning. Didn't do anything else around hobart itself.

More to come

cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tassie Holiday- report Day 1 & 2

Wow, thats expensive for Truffles !! looking forward to your next report.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tassie Holiday- report Day 1 & 2

Yikes! I agree (about the truffles)! ;-0)

15 degrees sure does sound warm for Hobart at this time of year...and you were very fortunate to have a clear day up on Mt Wellington. Lucky you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tassie Holiday- report Day 1 & 2

I think E coast truffles may be more flavoursome hence the price premium against the W coast ones ?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tassie Holiday- report Day 1 & 2

Glad you got such a lovely day to go up Mount Wellington.

5. Re: Tassie Holiday- report Day 1 & 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 12:20