We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
200 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

We have about 4 days to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne. We would like to stay one night in Borassa Valley and from there drive to the coastal route.

Please give me an idea of the itinerary that I could follow with stops in in between. I would like to see Robe, Mt Gambier, Port Campbell, Port Fairy, the Apostles. Anywhere else that I should stop at?

I don't know how to break it up for 2 - 3 nights of staying in hotels and where to do the overnight stops the best. Please advise. Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

only 3 nights from adelaide and still enjoy the areas with the itinerary u want is a bit difficult. u will be spending a lot of time driving.

and the GOR really needs 2 days to get the best out of it.

can u do 4 nights?

adelaide-barossa- robe-warrnambool-apollo bay (or lorne)-melbourne.

no biggy missing port fairy and u can 'do' mt. gambier's main sights in a few hours.

also there is a great wine area, the coonawarra (penola), between robe and mt gambier.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 11:25
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

I would stay in the barossa then head to the Freeway and spend the day driving to Robe... overnight in Robe then head to Mt Gambier and the GOR and stay in Warnambool for the second night.

I would actually chose EITHER to drive the coastal route (Coorong/Robe/Cape Jaffa wine region then onto Mt Gambier) OR head to Mt Gambier via the Coonawarra (inland route) spend time there if you like wine (which I presume you do if you are staying in the Barossa) and miss out the diversion to the Coast for Robe... this will save time.. but it's all a matter of your own personal taste. If you love premium red wines then you should not miss the Coonawarra/Penola region

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

I think that staying in Barrosa will be enough of a wine country experience as we are not great drinkers. From my view of the map it seems one has to go to A1 route and then B100 along the coast. A1 takes me through the Mt Gambier region but is this a slow drive? Also, from Warnambool can I drive to Melbourne in 1 day?

Alternatively I could take a trip to Barrosa Valley and return to Adelaide to fly to Melbourne and then hire a car just to do part of the GOR from Melbourne...will miss Mt Gambier doing it this way.

Any opinions?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

the roads thru SA are fairly good, not really busy and not really slow.

u can drive from warrnambool to melbourne in a day but i dont recommend it.

the GOR is winding and slow. and u need to park and walk to many of the sights

the GOR deserves 2 days.

missing mount gambier for a more relaxed trip along the GOR? yes, any day.

Edited: 14 November 2012, 09:22
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

Maybe I should just do a day trip to Barrosa from Adelaide and take the train to Melbourne which will allow me to see some of the countryside.

From Melbourne I can drive the GOR and stay overnight in one town before returning to Melbourne. Do you have a suggestion for a midway town to stay overnight?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

The train goes through the middle and without wishing to offend any residents of central Victorian towns, there's probably nowhere I would bother getting off the train to spend the night.

If you change you mind about driving and opt for a form of public transport then fly. It's a cheaper option than the train, quicker and more comfortable.

If you do decide to drive, then I would also recommend a visit to Penola and the Coonawarra - it's one of Australia's premier wine growing regions - and IMO the best Cabernet Savignon comes out of Coonawarra.

Our favorite place to stay in Penola is Heywoods Hotel http://www.heywardshotel.com.au/ for a night - classic Australian pub style accommodation - but be prepared for no ensuites!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

It's getting more and more complicated with all the options. I should have done a 2 month trip instead of one. Thanks for the help. I am vacillating over all the options. So the train ride wouldn't allow me to see some interesting countryside? It will cost about $240 and I think the plane fares might be the same, but faster. Nice to sit on a train though. I think driving is hard if you don't spend enough time in each place. Back to planning.

Other ideas are welcomed.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

fares adelaide to melbourne should be around half that.

the infamous tiger airways can be a quarter of that.

but train travel in australia can be an experience! and not always a good one.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

southaustralia.com/regions/limestone-coast.a…

The coastal drive to Melbourne really is a highlight. What about skipping the Barossa, doing your vinyard visits in the Coonawarra and other parts of the Limestone coast, then enjoying the Great Ocean Road.

I wouldn't detour to Mt Gambier either and stick with the beaches, forest walks (Ottways, Glenelg River NP etc) and small coastal towns like Robe and Pt Fairey with the time you have.

Alberta
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive Adelaide to Melbourne

We just did the drive from Adelaide to Melbourne, leaving Adelaide early on a Tuesday morning and getting to Melbourne late Thursday night. I wish we would have had an extra day. If I had to do it again, I would probably fly from Adelaide to Melbourne and then do a 2 or 3 day tour from Melbourne on the Great Ocean Road. We took the inland route from Adelaide to Hall's Gap in the Grampians and found this route very uninspiring. Took about 6 1/2 hours to drive this portion. We drove Port Campbell to Melbourne one way in one day and wished we had 2. Took about 10 hours with stops to drive this and we could have done a lot more had we had an extra day. If you can do a wine tour as a day tour from Adelaide, then fly to Melbourne and to a 2 or 3 day Great Ocean Road tour. I found train travel boring, although I only used the train to get from Sydney to the Blue Mountains. Flying was easy and you could do a one way fare for around $100 or less on a seat sale.