We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide weather in december

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Adelaide weather in december

Hi fellow travellers,

Need some advice on the summer weather here in Adelaide. I read many weather sites that says maximum 27 degrees celcius. But sometimes there might be a heat wave that will hit up to 40 degrees celcius. Any idea what are the odds (once in a blue moon, or every summer?) and usually how long does the heat wave last? Planning to travel sometime earlier december, not sure whether the weather will be too hot because we will be travelling with elderly and children. But we are planning to drive around and stay at Adelaide Hills. Will that be more 'sheltered'? thanks!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,917 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide weather in december

Here is a daily observation chart for Adelaide last December; bom.gov.au/climate/…IDCJDW5002.201112.shtml

Yes, you should expect some days in early December, to be quite warm to hot, but if you adjust your plans accordingly and try to be somewhere cool on those days, you will find it not so trying. Sometimes heat waves can last for 2 or more days and no, it will not be much cooler, if at all, in the hills.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide weather in december

umm - sorry Sue but I actually live in the Adelaide Hills and it IS always several degrees cooler than on the plains (which is why the early settlers built holiday houses up here). I even have an early retreat house right next door to me!

It is also most often much cooler on the Fleurieu Peninsula (south of Adl) eg Victor Harbor, Pt Elliot and Goolwa.

It may or may not be hot. We have had mild summers lately . At my sisters house on Christmas Day a couple of years ago (she also lives in the HILLS) it didnt get above 12 degrees. Just 2 weeks ago we had snow in the HILLS - so you never can tell.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,917 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide weather in december

That's good to hear...the year we were there it was about the same as the city.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
28,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide weather in december

Adelaide weather in the summer months is up and down like a Blow fly, yesterday was 33c today 29c tomorrow maybe 24c who knows!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide weather in december

If you are driving in the hills in an airconditioned car I can't see that you will be severely impacted either way. Anywhere you stop will be airconditioned so you can tailor your day accordingly.. (ie if it's a heat wave find somewhere lovely and cool.. if it's a cooler day you can be outside more )

Expect warm to hot weather but don't be surprised if a low pressure cell has an influence on the summer weather, all South Aussies can recall Christmas days spent in heat wave conditions and others spent huddling inside to shelter from rain and wind.... No one has a crystal ball but if you are here for more than three to four days you can reasonably expect some nice weather.

6. Re: Adelaide weather in december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 21:20