We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, England...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

Hi all, me and my friend need some advice on where to stop between Adelaide and Melbourne. Actually I just wrote a massive post but I think I lost it so apologies if you’re reading the same stuff again. We’ve got aprox 5 days (4 nights) to get from Adelaide to Melbourne. We were planning to just go along the coast to robe, Mt Gambier, nelson, port fairy, Apollo bay, Geelong and Melbourne. Then we heard lots of great things about the Grampians and would really like to go there. Problem is, it’s not exactly on route so only way with can figure it out without having to go back on ourselves is by going NE from Mt Gambier up to Halls Gap then back to Apollo bay, missing out the coastal route between Mt Gambier and Apollo bay. We only want to drive for about 4 hours a day so that we can spend quality time in each place so would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows or has been to those locations. Hope you can help! Emma

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

pity to miss the 'best' part of the GOR around port campbell but no biggy missing portland and port fairy.

from mt gambier travel to dunkeld then halls gap.

after halls gap head for ararat, then mortlake then warrnambool. some minor roads involved but nothing terrible.

TN
Level Contributor
492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

We did this drive in reverse (Melbourne to Adelaide) and spent one night at Cape Otway, two nights Halls Gap and one night Robe. We got to experience the GOR and had two fabulous nights in the Grampians. We were fascinated with the mobs of kangaroos and flocks of emus and other tropical birds. Can't wait to return!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

Ummm - bit picky perhaps but the Grampians are NOT tropical. In fact nowhere near it!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

Hi,

You could also consider including taking the ferry over from Queenscliff to Sorrento (Mornington Peninsula ) & taking the coastal route back to Melbourne,

Robe - Port Campbell - Lorne - Sorrento

Reading, England...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

hi all, Emma again, just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply, it was really helpful. can't wait to get exploring!! Emma xx

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

We even added Naracoorte on our trip and visited the caves.

Adelaide-Naracoorte

Naracoorte-Halls Gap

Halls Gap-Port Campbell

Port Campbell-Lorne

But also added extra nights in Halls Gap and PC so this trip took us longer than 5 days.

Tet

TN
Level Contributor
492 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

Nozzie is correct - Grampians are not tropical so my description of birds may not be accurate. Flocks of parrots, cockatoos, etc. Maybe not tropical but fabulous!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

Do not miss the Grampians, and avoid driving at dusk or in the evening in the Grampians; as that is the time the wild Roos are looking for a bed for the night !

9. Re: adelaide to melbourne drive, grampions or coastal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 20:15