We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

uk
Level Contributor
342 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Have been reading that feb to march weather is a bit touch and go. We are getting married at whitehaven beach, no date set but should me do it at the very start of april or middle of april- i mean would it make any difference.

Also is it best to marry on a weekday (quiter) as opposed to a saturday as we have sort of planned?

x

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,437 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Weather wont make much difference in the two week period you are talking.

You might find Saturday is a bit quieter as a lot of the 7 dayers change over on Sat or Sunday so can't daytrip. If you were going for another day midweek I'd pick Tuesday. It seems to be another change over day (ie the peeps who took Fri and Mond off)

uk
Level Contributor
342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

cheers for that, looks like it may be firday although not sure about 1st of April (fools day) or the 2nd april which is also my birthday.

Edited: 12 July 2010, 01:31
airlie beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Hope the weather window shows you its beauty on your day :) hopefully it is on the 2nd of april cause its my birthday too !

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Weekends do tend to be pretty busy. You might find it easier to book your choice of accommodation and wedding components midweek.

Good luck!

Tropical Far North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Someone has forgotten to mention that the wet season at times extends to April and did so this year. The middle of the year tends to be a whole lot nicer weather, that being said it has also been a pretty wet and windy June and July up here in Nth QLD.

Here's a link to a Whitsunday blog from April 15 this year when it was raining, heavy seas and fairly strong winds. cruisewhitsundays.net/page3.php…

Another local weather poster says about April/May weather:

"Just pack a brolly as with SEs showers are about and sometimes are quite heavy". forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php…

As for stingers, lifegards from Mackay ( which is south of Hamilton Island/Airlie Beach ) are quoted this year as saying the stinger season could extend as late as August ... here's a link to that page:

abc.net.au/news/…2871020.htm

Not trying to scare anyone off but I'm a local ( owned a house in the Whitsundays for a couple of years and spent plenty of time there ).

Whatever the weather, at least you can almost guarantee it will be nice and warm!

Cheers

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Mackay
Mackay
Queensland, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,437 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Actually TBH everyone should ignore the it's wet in and the weather will be x in...

we've had bleeding miserable weather in May 3 or 4 times, perfect weather in December...

While not the Whits we went to Japan in April and were told ...just a light jacket...should be low 20s..it went above 10 once, we got 2 snow days and numerous sleet and rain days...totally unseasonal..to the point where Guru purchased a beanie and i bought a jacket...

I stand by the 2 weeks wont make a huge difference..the weather isn't tap that turns on and off...if you;d said April v June then yes ....

Maybe it's just us..there is one recorded cyclone for oct. in the whits and guess where we were...

Tropical Far North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Seeing as I am still on topic and having a bit of a post fest, March last year Cyclone Hamish headed down north through the Whitsundays and down south as far as the Gold Coast. We just happened to pick the same time to take the kids down to the Gold Coast for a weeks holiday and Hamish chased us down the highway. Apart from a bit of wind and heaps of rain we had no real dramas at all.

I also stayed home for Cyclone Larry and the eye passed right over our house. I have heaps of photos of that even too which are posted online on one of my website but I ain't putting any links in case someone pulls this post down too!

Here's the big thing though, the day before Larry was just perfect weather, the days followed were also perfect weather apart from the regular monsoonal rain shower in the afternoons. so, one dad really bad, heaps and heaps of days just normal gorgeous sunshiny QLD weather.

An outdoor wedding is always going to influenced by the weather and any luck you have the most perfect weather in one of the most special places in Australia. Have a backup plan in case the weather doesn't work for you and at least up here in Nth QLD if it is overcast or raining it is nice and warm.

We got married on a Warrnambool headland and I think the weather was nice - the day was just so unbelievably special and being married outdoors with just a handful of people meant so much more than a big church wedding.

Still madly in love 10 years later.

Cheers all.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Definitely agree that you need a back up plan.. my son was married on HI in April 5 years ago and the 3 previous days it poured but on his day it was perfect except for some winds

I presume you will probably fly to the island but if you are boating there are days where if the winds are really strong.. the day cruises choose alternative sites to visit as it is too difficult to get to the beach .. not often but it does happen

There is absolutely no shelter on Whitehaven so just be prepared to alter your plans if the weather is really bad

I presume you are staying on HI as you have posted on the HI forum.. there are some lovely spots on HI but I realise the attraction of Whitehaven as it is certainly featured as being one of the 10 ten beaches in the world

Abbey

Mentioned in this post
Whitehaven Beach
Whitehaven Beach
1,730 Reviews
Whitsunday Island, Australia
Townsville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

Hey guys,

You picked a beautiful part of the world to get married! I lived and worked on Hamilton Island in the whitsundays (just around the corner from Whitehaven beach) for over 2 years. If you a planning a beach wedding I will offer you this advice, plan for September / October. These two months are the best weather for the region by far and you are guareenteed beautiful sun filled days, sparkling clear water and the best of the whitsundays. If you plan it for April you are on the end of the wet seaon which lasts anywhere from Jan - April. Usually Feb/March are the worst for rain in the region. Good Luck with everything and I hope whatever you decide your day is wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Whitehaven Beach
Whitehaven Beach
1,730 Reviews
Whitsunday Island, Australia
uk
Level Contributor
342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in April for whitehaven beach????

scottylaurie

Thanks for you reply. We are getting marrrid o April 4th so I will have to keep my fingers crossed for sun sun and sun. I guess if we book the seaplane and the weather if to bad to fly you would get a refund- these are all the silly things I have to look into incas the weather is poor.

Lucky you working there, what an experience.

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics