We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stinger Season

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Stinger Season

Hi... A really useful forum... But wondering if anyone has any advice on the impact of stinger season on Hamilton Island? Travelling in the third week of March this year so any guidance on this hugely appreciated! And I'm guessing I'm hitting the end of the wet season -- but what in reality does this mean? Thank so much... ANDY

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stinger Season

Always a touchy subject on here Andy as opinions differ so much

Impact on the island? minimal .. currently the middle of the busiest time on HI (summer school holidays) and the island as usual is pretty full and very busy

Some experts say the season is October - March .. others that stingers are around all year

I have never seen anyone wear a stinger suit on catseye beach .. thats not to say that many do as I do and use the pools .. but overall it seems pretty safe out the front and you will see many people happily taking advantage of the various boating and swimming activities

On all off island activites.. generally you are offered stinger suits .. ask the crew and to cover themselves they will say best to use them

Whilst very unattractive ..they are good for snorkelling giving some sun protection and they do make you feel a bit happier knowing that the majority of your body is covered .. I wear them when snorkelling during October to March

Wet season .. how long is a piece of string

I have been in February and never seen a scrap of rain ... and then in April it has poured down but never enough to spoil our holiday but then I know how you pom's are about the sun .. MAD

its okay I am married to one and having many english relatives, I know what is important on a beach holiday

No guarantees I am afraid except it will be very warm and humid and normally the rain passes quickly if you are unlucky to get some showers

You'll be here in Oz and we will be in London ... me though I would love to see some snow .. hoping for some late cold weather to get my wish

Abbey

australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stinger Season

hi there,

if anyone thinks that "it seems pretty safe" in the waters they need to rethink the fact that 90% of mareine stings occur in 2 inchs of water! it is recomended to wear stinger suits when entering the waters, i have seen people stung on the outer reef in the middle of winter, there is not enough evidence to suggest where and when they are around - you out your seatbelt on when getting in a car - the same goes with wearing stinger suits, the last thing you want on your holiday is to be spending it in hospital! :)

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stinger Season

Clarece did you really see someone stung on the outer reef in the middle of winter? I have lived here for thirty years and not heard of a sting in the Whitsundays in winter. I have heard of sea lice and other small biting marine things. What sort of sting was it, where was it and how long ago was it, I am just curious ? Skipper.

australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stinger Season

Hi,

yes it was about 3 years ago, we already had dramas out there with another guest and had a medivac on its way, they also took the "sting victim" and 3 drs confirmed it was "irukandji" related. a staff member was also stung on hte snorkelling platform on christmas day 2 years ago - not a nice present! :)

5. Re: Stinger Season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics