We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winchester, UK
14 posts
Save Topic
Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

Hi all,

Myself and my wife to be are spending 4 nights in the Whitsundays as part of our honeymoon. At the moment we love the look of HI (but would be open to suggestions of other places!)

Could anyone recommend any nice apartments. We are going to be on HI from 20 - 24 April, so it would be great to spend 4 nights somewhere romantic and with as spectacular views as possible.

I have looked at various website (Stayz etC) but it is difficult to get a feel for which apartments are 'better' than others.

Out max budget is $400 per night.

Thanks in Advance

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

check out anchorage # 14

its a great place to stay!!!

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

Hi Paul,

We were in Hamilton island in August this year and were REALLY disappointed. It just isn't as polished as you imagine it should be.

We stayed in the Palm Bungalows, but there weren't very appealing either.

I wouldn't totally poo poo it, in case it had improved and we were unlucky with it being out of season, but it's definitely an island in need of a lot of TLC.

If you're going to stick with the Whitsundays, I'd try for one of the more intimate islands.

Definitely get yourself out to Whitehaven Beach though, that's lovely :)

For more comments, see our blog post:

australiatripideas.co.uk/hamiltonisland.html

Cheers,

Martin

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

I am sorry Martin about your not so good experience on HI .. the palm bungalows are not that exciting I admit .. I felt when I visited one that they were a bit dark and wouldnt want to spend much time in them .. I believe they have been upgrading the bungalows lately

Not eveyone loves HI, thats for sure .. we have both rave reviews and negatives on this forum !!!

Paul, I agree with so many choices, it isnt easy

Apartments are split into 2 main areas, the complexes along Catseye (Hibisucs, Lagoon and Frangipani) are more popular with families and groups due to the close proxmity to the beach and they face east and get the morning sunrise

The others are mainly set above and behind the Marina.. these nearly all face west and yes you get the lovely sunsets which couples really enjoy

These are more recently built than the ones along the beach front so you get your more up to date setting with large balconies ... for $400.00 a night you will get a lovely modern apartment with golf buggy as these apartments are built on the hilly side but this is what gives you the great views

There have been a few mentioned here, anchorage, shorelines, The Edge is wonderful but I think out of the price range

I am sure you will be happy with any you choose .. plenty of room to stretch out and have some down time together .. I presume this will only form part of your honeymoon as you are travelling from the other side of the world

Good luck

Abbey

Winchester, UK
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

Thanks Abbey,

We're going to go with Lagoon. I managed to negotiate a good price and also got a second floor apartment which should give better views!

To be honest, we won't be spending a great deal of time in the apartment so as long as it is clean and not miles away from the action then it should do perfectly!

We're starting in Sydney before heading up to HI and then to Melbourne. Staying on HI for 4 nights - if anyone could recommend a good itinery that would be great!

Thanks

Paul

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

Hi Paul

Anywhere on the island is only about a 10 minute golf buggy ride .. so have no concerns about being away from it all

Lagoon is at the end of catseye beach and is very quiet but still close enough that if you feel like walking .. it is within easy reach of the Reef Hotel for breakfast or the main swim up pool next to Toucan's

As you have 4 nights which means 3 days .. well it depends on the weather and winds a bit .. the trip to the Reef is a full day from 8.15 am to about 5.30 pm .. you can snorkel or dive or just view the water from the underwater viewing area

There are also helicopter rides but these are a bit pricey

Nearly all visitors want to see Whitehaven beach .. you can sail, fast boat or fly over by seaplane .. again depending how much time you want to spend there

You could also do a 3 stop snorkelling trip with H20 .. this visits a couple of islands for snorkelling and includes a stop at Whitehaven

In the evening the Denison Star is very popular .. they have a sunset cruise and a full dinner cruise .. the food is rated very well (I havent been on it yet as it has been booked out when I have tried to go)

If you want your photo taken with a koala .. there is the animal sanctuary there, it is small but has a collection of native animals .. visit either early morning or late afternoon as they sleep during the heat of the day

If you visit the official HI site www.hamiltonisland.com.au and go to the link for activites .. you will see a whole range plus prices so you can plan your 3 days before you arrive

But do check the weather conditions at the tour desk as soon as you arrive as this can make a difference particularly if you want to snorkel

Just driving around in the golf buggy is fun and do make sure you go to one tree hill at sunset for some great views .. they have a bar up there with cocktails but we cheat and get a bottle of bubbly from the bottle shop and take some nibblies and have our own party up there .. lots of people go every evening so well worth it

I hope you have a great honeymoon and visit to Oz

Abbey

Melbourne
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

Hi Paul

My husband and I stayed at the Reef View Hotel in August for a bit of a romantic getaway.

While I understand this is not an apartment, I thought I would suggest to you because we were so impressed with the room. It is 4 star, but frankly it is much better than any 4 star accommodation I have stayed in before.

We were in a superior King room on the 14th floor, where the King sized bed faced a fantastic view of the water. Nice balcony with good quality timber outdoor furniture. Huge bathroom with double vanities, bath tub, separate shower and separate toilet. Comfortable couches and a large flat-screen tv. While we were in a large complex, we felt completely isolated when in our room. It would also be within your price range.

I was completely against the Reef View before I decided to book it, because I didn't want to stay in a big multi-story complex, but I'm so glad we did.

Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy your stay and have a lovely honeymoon :-)

hamilton island
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

as others have mentioned, the one thing you most definitely want to do is spend some time on whitehaven beach. if you only have 3 days here, i'd recommend a whitehaven beach champagne picnic by helicopter at $389 per person. total duration of the trip is 2 hours, saving plenty of time for other activities.

same trip is offered by seaplane (without the scenic part) for $169 per person but it is not a private experience, as other guests would be booked on.

have a great honeymoon! and enjoy Lagoon - its gorgeous.

8. Re: Apartments Suitable for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 22:25
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics