We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding on Hamilton Island

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding on Hamilton Island

Hello, I would be grateful if anyone could share their experiences of HI. I am planning to have a wedding in the Whitsundays next Oct, bringing with me 18 friends and family. I thought that HI would be best as it has its own airport and we have older/disable people to consider. Is Hamilton Island a good choice for a small wedding? We are looking for a beautiful location and great food though not too expensive. Also activities for the young and not so young. I do not want to take a wedding package as they are extremely expensive and includes many things we do not want. Which area would be good for a ceremony? Are there any suggestions for other islands?

Thank you for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Hi LJCAust

My son was married on HI nearly 3 years ago now and his friends said it was the best wedding they had been too as it wasnt just a 7 or 8 hour day but more a party spread over several days

HI is a good choice for the fact you can book private apartments which are excellent value as you normally get 2 or 3 bedrooms, lounge areas, full kitchen, laundry's (great for last minute ironing for wedding's) plus patio's or balcony's

You can save money by having get togethers at each other's place plus there are heaps of activites on HI, have a look at the offical site and you can see what you can do on and off island

Also for large parties you can even book houses which take 10 or 12 people .. very popular with large families

Also do a search on photographers for HI .. there is an official site where every day they post the day's wedding photos .. you can see all the beautiful locations

My son was married in the church .. it is a small little white chapel non-denominational but at least with the church you dont have to worry about any sudden downpours

But there are many other wonderful sites .. only beaware that as it is a holiday destintation .. if you get married on the beach .. you will be surroundered by lots of people in cossies who just love to have a look at a bride .. and take lots of photos so dont be shy

With that number you probably could have a reception at Romanos (Italian) or the Seafood Restaurant .. both look out over the water down at the Marina

The Beach House is really the top place for a wedding reception but would be quite expensive

Toucans will also be recommended (as I think it is the most inexensive) but as that is very public and a family restaurant .. I am not that keen on there and the toilets near there are not always the best as people use them coming up from the beach .. we saw a bride trying to hold her beautiful dress up from the floor which was wet and had some sand on there from small childrens feet ..

Another wonderful option is the Denison Star (boat) .. a lovely meal out on the water .. okay as long as everyone does not get sea sick

October is my favourite month on the island .. just the start of the hot humid weather and generally little rain fall

But it is also very popular for that reason so get in quick and decide as you are catering for many people

A site to check out for private accommodation is www.hamiltonisland.stays.com.au (TA ask me to mention that I have a place listed here but as I am one of hundred's, they are happy for me to mention it)

It has many houses and apartments but you will save quite a lot rather than going through the resort .. a typical 2 bedroom apartment will cost from about $320.00 per night but through the resort .. cost is about $450.00

But for this you get the apartment, valet service (personal pick up and return from the airport) and a golf buggy which must be noted are only licenced to carry 4 people so keep that in mind

There are many dining options on HI as well as take away fish and chips and pizza's so it caters for a wide range of guests and circumstances

There is also a pharmacy, bakery, bank, supermarket etc. in case you forget anything

Hope this is of some help

Abbey

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Hi LJC,

Hamilton Island is a beautiful place to get married at. It is easily accessible with daily non stop flights from Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns and Bribane.

HI offers accommodation for disabled people.

October is a great month to get married on Hamilton Island, so you have picked the best time (in my opinion). It's not too cold and it's not too humid.

Some people choose to have the ceremony on a secluded beach on an island near Hamilton Island (or elsewhere in The Whitsundays) and bring a marriage celebrant along.

While this is lovely, I would advice against this in your case, considering you will have elderly and especially disabled people with you. It is very hard for them to be lifted on and off boats or planes.. Many of the elderly also need to have access to bathrooms, and you won't find that on the beaches around the islands.

I think you will find that it will be several days of wedding celebration together with your family and close friends which is beautiful. Most people get very relaxed too in an enviroment like this.

The chapel is very pretty and a great choice if you don't want to take chances of getting wet if it starts to rain. October is normally a dry month, but you never know..

You can choose to get married on Catseye Beach too. That is also lovely. Consider the tides though, as in low tide the water is way out from the beach. That is, if you want water in the background of the weddiing photos.

To make it less expensive, stay in private apartments or private houses and they include a buggy which is great.

I see weddings here all the time, and some couples certainly go all the way! Limo, bands, enormous wedding cake, a 1000 guests (not really, but it seems like it)! Some like that, but if it was me, a smaller wedding like yours sounds just beautiful.

Look through some of the other posts here regarding activities. There are heaps to do, both for elderly and younger people.

Have a look at www.hamiltonisland.com.au for activities as well.

If you have more questions, just ask away.

Regards,

Christine

Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Christine & Abbey,

Thank you very much for your excellent detailed reply. We have decided that we will get married on HI. Now I am looking at photographers and accommodation. The apartments look great but I will have to see if my guests are willing to share. I am living in Germany up until the wedding so the whole thing needs to be planned on the internet. Its only just begun...

Thanks again,

Lisa

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Hi LJCAust,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear we could help you a bit along the way.

I forgot to mention in the previous post (regarding especially the elderly/disabled guests) that there is a Medical Centre on the island. The doctor is on call 24hrs if someone would get sick. I hope not, but you never know.

There are wedding photographers on the island. Most people seem to be happy their jobs. You can get a photographer from the mainland (Airlie Beach) too. You will have to pay her/him for ferry costs and travelling time though. Most photographers in this area have websites so you can view their portfolio.

I would also ask a few friends to take photos. Sometimes they take brilliant shots, maybe it is because they know you and can capture the couple in a way that strangers can't? Other people hand out disposable cameras for each guest after the ceremony.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Christine

London
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Hi LJCAust,

how is your planning going? I would love to hear what your planning and what have u allowed for your budget. Currently I'm planning a big wedding in Dec08 but now what I really want to do is invite my close family + friends 17 of us to hamiliton island, have the ceremony on the beach and go out for dinner. Nothing big, kinda really like a family holiday really.

Your weddings sounds beautiful small and elegant. I see the wedding packages dont really cater for small weddings do they?.. Where are you planning the ceremony? Whitehaven beach sounds nice.

London
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Another question I have is on the website of hamilton island weddings, explains they are the only consultants who have permission for weddings on whitehaven beach? is this the case or could I organise it myself with a celebrant? just not sure about transering everyone across..?

cheers

Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Hi meld04,

I know what you mean about the family holiday idea. That is what we wanted too. Unfortunately now the guest list has blown out to 30... The budget is a lot higher than expected, as we are paying for food and accommodation for friends and family. I recommend looking at the private apartments instead of the resort as they are a lot cheaper and nicer too.

So far our plans are as follows: We are having the ceremony in the chapel, as we found it would still be $1000 or so to decorate the beach. The Chapel is included in the cost of hiring Hamilton Island Weddings as the planners. The basic cost of this was $1500 which includes the location and the wedding planner only. I tried to get out of this and bring in someone else from the mainland but it is not possible. If you have a wedding on HI you must pay Hamilton Island Weddings. I don't know about Whitehaven Beach though, we are only going there for photos. As for the reception we are having dinner at Romanos, hiring the VIP room. If you would like to hire the catering company for an outdoor reception you need at least 25 people. If you would like to PM me I can send you all the pricing info that I have collected so far. Good luck!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Hello! I was reading your postings with interest as we got married on Whitehaven Beach in Dec 05. We organised everything ourselves, without the aid of a wedding planner, as it was just my husband and I (we had a big party back in the UK!).

If you need any help pls let me know - we organised the celebrant/photographer who came out from the mainland, and organised a seaplane to take us the beach - where we had our ceremony (with the pilot as one of the witnesses!), lots of photos etc and back to Hamilton Island (we stayed at the Beach Club) - a fab trip and all done via the internet so we saved lots of money and got exactly what we wanted.

hope your day is as special as ours was .... just hope we can get back soonish!

regards, alison

9. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2008, 02:27
sydney
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding on Hamilton Island

Your wedding plans sound wonderful.I have stayed at hamilton island many times and just love it.The first time i visited hamo was on our honeymoon 23 years ago.our daughter spent her honeymoon there last november.

The chapel is beautiful.Romanos is a good choice for the reception.

If your guests don't have a great time there they are hard to please.

The beautician and hairdresser on the island are very good.

My daughters dance teacher had her wedding on hamo.The photos were brilliant.After all the formalities were over ,one of the bridal party fell in the swimming pool,so all the rest jumped in as well,beautiful dresses and all.It made for unique photos!

What is your wedding date?

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics