We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Oslo
1 post
Save Topic
Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

My friend and I are planning a trip in mid-september 2010. We hope to do a 3 day sailing trip that includes the Great barrier reef (preferrably the outer reefs) and snorkelling. Leaving either saturday 11th or sunday 12th, what are the options?

Is there an office/web site that serves the different companies providing these cruises?

Save Reply
1. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Have a look on www.whitsailing.com they have alot of differnet styles of boats you can choose between.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Hi TJ,

www.whitsailing.com is great, so is: http://www.explorewhitsundays.com/book where you can check the availability of boats for your chosen dates. Once you have it narrowed down by date, ask on the forum again for advice to choose which boat is best for your trip.

Have fun planning it!

TW

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Hi,

I'm also looking at a 3 day sailing trip in April next yeear. Does anyone know what Rugamuffin 2 is like as a boat and trip?

many thanks

corallie

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Coralie.... are you backpacking?

Ragamuffin is a retired racing yacht and as such it would not have luxurious appointments. These yachts aim for the "young fun and adventure" market so if that's not you, you'd be advised to find a more suitable boat. If you don't mind bunking in a pipe cot and are happy to pump your own toilet (head) then Rags would be fine :)

I haven't sailed on her since she was racing so I confess I have no idea what's been done onboard to her since those days but racing yachts are designed with minimal luxuries so unless she's been totally stripped out I'd not be expecting sprung mattresses :)

Having said that.. sailing on a racing yacht is a lot of fun .. !

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Thanks for your advice. Might try another boat then... i'm not backpacking but i don't mind roughing it a bit, think a flushing toilet might be nice though :) . i'll have another search and see which other boats appeal...

had a look at the Waltzing Matilda, does anyone know what this boat's like by any chance?

would you say catamarans are better than racing yachts? or just different?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Hi,

I am goin to the Whitsunday's this coming January 2011 and I would like to know when is the best time to hire a sail boat or Catamaran (how will I be able to get the best "lowest" price possible), if it is better to hire it before arriving there, through one of those internet web sites or when I am actually there. What I am looking for is a charter boat, those where I can be with no more than 8 or 10 people. What would be the difference in the price, between hiring before and when I am there?

Thank you and I hope somebody can answer my question.

Martin.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

Hi,

I am goin to the Whitsunday's this coming January 2011 and I would like to know when is the best time to hire a sail boat or Catamaran (how will I be able to get the best "lowest" price possible), if it is better to hire it before arriving there, through one of those internet web sites or when I am actually there. What I am looking for is a charter boat, those where I can be with no more than 8 or 10 people. What would be the difference in the price, between hiring before and when I am there?

Thank you and I hope somebody can answer my question.

Martin.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

i've decided to go for ron of argyll as they leave on a sunday (which is the day we need to set sail on) and seem to offer the style of sailing we're after.

i just want to make sure that the boat goes to all the places we want to including whitehaven beach and the outer reef. does anyone know where this boat takes you?

many thanks

corallie

9. Re: Whitsunday Islands, 3 day sailing trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands