We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

Hello ! We will be staying 2 weeks in Gold Coast, main beach region and initially we did not have any plans going anywhere. But now I am thinking to visit a little bit of GBR region, especcialy interested in Whitehaven beach and lake Mckenzie, as well maybe a heli ride over reefs or a sailing tour. My main dilema is what would be most practical way of seeing it coming from Main Beach in GC. Here's what I was thinking to do.

Lake Mckenzie - rent a 4x4 from Main beach and do it in 1 day. My concern are about driving in the sand. So maybe I can get there by a shutle to a place from where I could take an organised tour or would it be cheaper to drive yourself ? I presume it can be done in 1 day ?

Whitehaven beach - there are airfare to Hamilton Island from Brisbane for only 92$AUS. But then I would need to plan my flight in accordance with a tour that would take me the beach. If I would to take a plane, should I maybe stay overnight somewhere and spend 2 days around that area before going back to Main Beach ? What tours would you recommend that would combine Whitehaven beach with a heli ride over reefs. What are other must sees in GBR region considering our base in Gold Coast and time is limited.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE INPUT !

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

Lake McKenzie is on Fraser Island... it is more then a day trip from Brisbane... I would fly from Brisbane to Hervey Bay if you are short on time and spend a few days there... another option for the Whitsundays would be flying into Proserpine (Whitsunday Coast.. prices start from A$49.. more companies operate out of Airlie Beach then Hamilton Island)...

To give you a fair idea on how big QLD is... it is of a similar size to Canada.

Cheers,

SB

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

Day trips can be done from Brisbane to Fraser Island. Brisbane is one hour north of Gold Coast. maybe even can have Gold Coast pick up but as I think Brisbane departure for Fraser is 6am (ish) possibly overnight in Brisbane would best. Return from these trips are late evening.

Alternate would be drive yourself to Hervey Bay and do a day tour of Fraser from there - pick up a more civilised 9-10am. - and more options of tours......The ex Brisbane day trips dont go to Hervey Bay - they go onto Fraser Is at the south end and I am not sure if Lake Mckenzie is on their route. Different tours visit a different fresh water lake, and drive along a different area of beach and use different lunch stop at a resort.

I would recommend not to try and drive on Fraser in 4 wheen drive...the sade roads are more like single vehicle width tracks, and you will meet plenty of other vehicles including the special built tour buses and need to back up to a passing point.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

Thank you for your replies. Very helpful.

I read that day trips to whitehaven beach are very weather dependent so I am wondering if I will book plane tickets in advance as well as the tour itself and the weather will be bad on that specific day I will lose everything. So what should I do in this case ?

My other dilema is that my accomodation in gold coast is already paid for so ideally I would like to be able to do a day trip to whitehaven beach in 1 day from Gold Coast, in ex. take a plane from Brisbane to Proserpine in AM do the day trip and return to gold coast on the same day, late in the evening. Is it possible? If yes what is the best day trip company that will visit Whitehaven beach and more ?

Q'Land
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

Sunrover Tours has a day tour listed on it's website saying that they visit Lake McKenzie,

AUD$229 from Gold Coast.

Whitehaven - too far in a day. I suggest 2 nights in Airlie Beach - Fly to Proserpine.

And do a day trip from Airlie Beach to Whitehaven.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

You will have problems sorting out plane flights to suit as a day trip...I would get a travel agent to organize this for you, because of the difficulty of organization of flights/ - and combine tour of Whitsundays.

1 )You will have to drive or shuttle bus to Brisbane takes approx one hour from the Gold Coast. You would have to leave early.

For example here are a few times - to play around with...

Virgin Blue Flights to H/I

…virginblue.com.au/skylights/…skylights.cgi

…virginblue.com.au/skylights/…skylights.cgi

Jetstar ::

http://book.jetstar.com/Search.aspx

http://book.jetstar.com/Search.aspx

The best option would be to combine / book a scenic flight in time of your arrival to Whitsundays.

http://www.airwhitsunday.com.au/whitsunday_fares.php'

or on arrival to Hamilton island.

www.avta.com.au/wst_wh_shuttle_heli.asp

Other suggestions - apart from W/Islands.

Lady Elliott Island GBR from Hervey Bay.

http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/ fab snorkeling....you can do this from the G/Coast but I think you have to stay overnight...

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

I would forget Whitehaven beach if your trip is in 2 weeks.Road closures have been occurring around Proserpine with the Bruce highway and the airlie Beach roads cut at times.We were in Airlie on saturday and it rained the whole time.

The monsoon trough is moving south and they are predicting heavy rain from Bowen to Mackay this week.

So I would take Ellemay's suggestion-a few days at Hervey Bay/Fraser Island-more to see and do apart from Lake mackenzie.You can do a day trip to Lady Elliott island from there-this is the southernmost point of the GBR.

If you were driving it could be worthwhile spending a couple of days at Hervey bay and a couple of nights at Bundaberg-it is still the time for turtle hatching at Mon Repos beach and you can do the day trip to Lady Elliott from there or have a bus pickup and take a cruise from the Town of 1770 to Lady Musgrave island.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

drron, just so it's clear my trip is not in 2 weeks but it will be in may from 11 to 24 ( weeks in total) but thanks anyway for information. As for fraser island it comes a bit too expensive for us, from GC (around 250$ per person) and this just to visit Lake McKenzie, because that's all we're really interested in on Fraser Island. For this price we might as well try and squeeze our trip to whitehaven in 1 day. No problem with waking up early. I am beginning to consider a scenic flight to whitehaven beach on our arrival to proserpine to be able to save time but I don't want to miss on other stuff such as snorkeling. (we are not huge divers, more of beach people, scenery and snorkeling) So I will continue to look for information, but in the meantime any other advices would be greatly appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

Envision,

I would liken trying to do a one day trip to Whitehaven from Main Beach to trying to do a one day trip from Montreal to Chicago in order to take a boat tour of the lake, its about the same distance, but with just one flight per day, and if the weather is lousy.....?

Your thoughts of staying there overnight are a better idea.

Ellemays suggestion of Lady Elliot Island which is the closest part of the GBR to the Gold Coast is a sound one. Flights or high speed cat, from memory, go from Hervey Bay.

A well kept secret closer to Main Beach, which you may consider is Moreton Island, reachable by high speed ferry in around an hour from Brisbane. It has white sand, palm trees, and lots of watersports in brilliant blue water at Tangalooma including diving on some wrecks. Or even closer to Main Beach is South Stradbroke island.

Friends of ours from London took a day tour to Fraser over Xmas and the weather was very wet so they had spent a lot of money to see nothing but the insides of their bus with fogged up windows. Ive been to lake McKenzie several times and to me its nice, but perhaps not worth the trouble.

9. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 February 2009, 04:28
10. Re: Day trips to GBR from gold coast, main beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 11:16