We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

My husband and I are first timers to Australia, and we are dividing our 10 day trip between Sydney and Far North Queensland. For the FNQ part of the trip, we are flying into Cairns and plan to base ourselves at Port Douglas. We plan to rent a car to explore the area.

I am wondering whether it is worth it to spend one night in Cairns before heading to Port Douglas? We'd like to do the Kuranda train and cableway tour, and staying overnight in Cairns would avoid our having to backtrack from Port Douglas by car one day. On the other hand, we'd be packing and unpacking twice. Any thoughts?

Also, I think we've decided to stay at Peppers Beach Club in Port Douglas in a spa suite. I've read that these suites are small, but I can't get an idea of exactly HOW small. If they are just normal sized hotel rooms then we're fine with it - we don't need a separate sitting area or kitchen. However, if they are so tiny that you can't turn around or open your suitcases, then that's a problem. We don't want to be claustrophobic in our own room! If the spa suites are that tiny, we would probably pay the extra money for a 1-bedroom suite. Anyone with advice? Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

We normally stay in cairns for the last couple of days as we hire an avis rental at port douglas and return it to the airport on the way home that way you save on transfer costs and get to do any day trips i.e Kuranda wich can all be done from cairns quite easily. We useally only hire a vehicle for one day for our transfer to port douglas as we just sit around and relax.All day trips can be done from port but spending a couple of nights in Cairns is great.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

We generally fly into Cairns and spend a day or two there on the way to or from Port Douglas. It's just another change of scenery and, as we generally (like micklaw above) rent a car it's easy to do !

London
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

Another vote for spending a night in Cairns. If nothing else, it has a greater variety (both type and price) of shops and restaurants than Port Douglas and a different feel.

Don't know why you're worried about packing/unpacking - most of our Australia trips (family of 4) involve a fair number of one-night stops. We just take out what we need: toiletries, nightwear, a change of clothes and underwear, so no big deal and takes only a few minutes.

Edited: 06 November 2010, 05:14
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

there are very many different sections to Cairns. You could stay downtown but then there is also places like bed and breakfast or Trinity Beach or Palm Cove. If after just resort style places than Palm Cove is in between Cairns city and Port Douglas.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

Yep one night in Cairns is a good idea and definately try to avoid travelling the Captain Cook Hwy (between Cairns and Port Douglas) at night. It is windy and dark- and so beautiful in daylight.

Re: Peppers- I think rooms are ok size- been in one, but can't remember the exact room type. Just email the hotel with your concerns and they will let you know. PS nice pool area and close 3-4 min walk from town and beach..

6. Re: Worth it to stay 1 night in Cairns before Port Douglas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2011, 15:34
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas