We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches nearby safe for swimming?

Melbourne
1 post
Save Topic
Beaches nearby safe for swimming?

After reading through the past posts on jellyfish, I am wondering if there are any beaches near PD which do not have stingers (or are safer)? We are going to be hiring a car for 5 days, driving from Cairns airport up to Port Douglas. Will be traveling during mid January. Any advice would be great!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches nearby safe for swimming?

Unfortunately,every beach between Gladstone and the tip of Australia is subject to box jellyfish/irukandji/blue bottles and other species between the months of October to April.

Only swim in the netted areas,and there are quite a few. My opinion is to swim at patrolled beaches,where there is un update by lifesavers each morning. Most tourist destinations drag their beaches each morning to check for jellyfish activity.

If you're unsafe about swimming in the nets,then perhaps opt for the cool streams of the National Parks.

Near Port Douglas, visit the Mossman Gorge, where the water is most refreshing(cold), and if unsure at any other places,visit the National Parks website to see where the best swimming spots are.

Cairns has also a man made lagoon,on the espalande which is very popular with the locals,and of course, there's always the option of the resort pools.

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches nearby safe for swimming?

PD has a netted area on the long beach (but feel free to nip into the Mirage for a cheeky dip in their massive pools.

One word of warning - if you get stung by a blue bottle (and you can, just by walking along the beach so keep your eyes open) don't believe the myth that urinating on the sting. Apply ice until the swelling goes down. It will hurt and part of your leg may feel numb - but otherwise, it's harmless.

Enjoy!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches nearby safe for swimming?

Cairns also has a lovely, stinger-free swimming area at Crystal Cascades, similar to Mossman Gorge without the tourists. No tour buses, in fact no buses at all.

Last week Cairns lifesaver patrolled beaches with netted enclosures were closed for swimming due to marine stinger activity and someone was stung by irukandji in netted area at Port Douglas beach.

There is little concern on reef but be guided by tour operator as to need of hiring a stinger suit. Not a bad idea anyway, they save you having to slather yourself in sun protection cream every couple of hours.

Bluebottle jellyfish, mentioned above are more common more in southern coastal areas, their sting does not compare in severity with irukandji, or worse, the sometimes fatal box-jelly fish.

There's often crocodile activity at that time of year, in which case, beaches will be closed.

Sutton on Sea UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches nearby safe for swimming?

Glad to hear that bluebottle are jellyfish. Kept reading about them as being on beaches on Noosa when a north wind blowing.Read about them stinging but as I am from UK I thought they were flying insects . Ours are great big ugly flying creatures that lay maggotts on meat etc. Was about to look them up on Google when I saw the answer in forum. Will still look them up but now understand why they would be in sea. You have put my mind at rest now as i always get eaten alive my mosquitoes and was dreading swarms of bluebottles. This should give all you Australians a good laugh.