We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ace car rentals

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Ace car rentals

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has used this company they seem to be a bit cheaper than the other rental compaies, just wondering what they are like or can anyone recommed cheap and good rental company cheers

93 replies to this topic
Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ace car rentals

I'm wondering the same thing, someone please reply

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ace car rentals

I have used them and they were absolutely wonderful. I am going to NZ again next February and will definitely use them again.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ace car rentals

When we were in Cairns in January with my friend from Sydney, she booked with Redspot. Not sure how it compares with Ace, but we didn't have any problems.

sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ace car rentals

I book a car with ACE cairns as last minute thing as the weather has turned bad for the beach. and they were surprisingly good !!

I was wary of the smaller car rental that was shonky and start charging tourist like me any bits of extra. But this one is not bad at all.

The cheapest you could have every where you look INCLUDING insurance is $65/day. even more at the big company.

ACE is around $45, plus zero gap insurance of $19. This is a good insurance which including tyre and windscreen which some of the bigger company can't even cover unless you want to pay extra $35.

The problem is with ACE rental if you don't take the full insurance, they would have to reserve $3000 of your credit card, which you couldn't use for a week after you return the car. So i wouldn't recommend it if you're not prepared to buy full insurance from them.

But they don't charge admin fee etc.. just rental $45 + $19 full insurance.

But as CHOICE magazine said, always take picture before AND after you rent. Inside and outside of the car. keep the receipt of the petrol. and fill up just before you return. your receipt will have the time of your fill up. so if your contract paper said returning 5pm, your receipt can say 4.45pm. i think Caltex is closest to ACE cairns cbd. you could google it up.

ACE has a contract paper which include diagram of where the scratches around the car. But because i had the No gap insurance, the friendly lady at the counter weren't even bother to get me to sign anythign before and after the rental. I'm sure you can insist on filling it up and ask her to sign it.

I return it in a good condition. So no hassle. she had a quick inspection and clear it up.

cheapest way to do insurance is actually find Travel insurance that include Rental car insurance. My insurance is about $95/ 2 weeks holiday in cairns. with 5 days car rental, it pays itself. no to mention you have insurance just incase of accident or cost of cancelation. But you might want to double check if it includes windscreen and tyre.

I also did a rental with Thrifty which cost me $29/ day. But it has several other extra such as administration cost etc... so I ended up paying extra $10/day. With Thrifty it was cheaper because i had my own insurance. Their no gap insurance cost another $35.

Thrifty didn't do final inspection, but their initial contract when I picked up stated where all the scratches were. I found more, so I report it to them before driving up which she inspected and added on. I also took photos.

upon return I ensure I wash and vacuum at the DiY car wash near Cairns plaza.The friendly lady at the airport said i didn't have to do that.

I didn't get any extra charges either.

so far.. it was a smooth transaction with ACE and Thrifty. But again I did my homework to find out the 'catch' and traps that people might have through Trip Advisor.

TN
Level Contributor
498 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ace car rentals

Sydneylovers - good to read your feedback on ACE - we are renting from them in New Zealand in December and got a terrific rate by booking early. Thanks!!!

Edited: 16 August 2012, 10:14
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ace car rentals

Rented with Ace a few weeks back for a trip through the daintree and cape tribulation. Great company, Friendly, cheap and easy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ace car rentals

Good to hear some positive feedback on cheaper rental cars for a change.

This FAQ is from the Australia Forum (right hand side of the screen) and contains info which may be helpful in explaining insurances etc - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Austr…

Sydneylovers has given a pretty good run down about the insurances which are always extra in Australia to my knowledge. His / her advice about taking photos and contacting the company to let them know about dents etc is good. My only other comment is not to look directly at the body - look from an angle as that will show up the shadows where dents are ... as I found out the other day on our car - I have no idea how it got a dent in side of the car above the door adjoining the roof !!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ace car rentals

I can only say good things about Ace Rentals. My recent hire in Sydney completely fulfilled my expectations and was considerably cheaper than comparable quotes from the major hire companies. I took out the optional, zero excess insurance and I can definitely recommend this for the peace of mind it provides.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ace car rentals

Dont go with them unless you want to be waiting for ages to be picked up and have three thousand dollars held on your credit card for a few weeks if you don't take their insurance out

Rude and bad service

Got a car from thrifty after being left stranded in cairns after we didn't want to get the car from ace

A terrible experience two hours latter after getting off the plane we had a car but not from them.

London
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Ace car rentals

Agree with Wozzag13. Ace sold insurance via their UK website and then we were advised when we went to pick the car up in Melbourne that we have to take out further insurance or they would take $3000 from my credit card as a deposit. This is also what I was pressured about from the UK. So if I have declined insurance or opted for a lesser amount of insurance they would have held $6000. In Melbourne the depot is probably 10 minutes from the airport. Had to stand around waiting for a shuttle bus, although they had flight details. Never again. It would have been cheaper to use a big reputable company.

Reply to: Ace car rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted