We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairn itinerary do I have it right?

4 posts
Save Topic
Cairn itinerary do I have it right?

Hello everyone, calling on experienced cairns travellers to please give me some feedback?

Am traveling to cairns for 9 nights on 5th of feb. I realise this may not be the best time of year to go but my wife wanted to go somewhere close as we are traveling with our 6 month old. This is what I have so far:

Fly to cairns.

First 3 nights port  douglas or cairns (wanna do kurunda train and maybe green island not sure about island though) ?

Hire car 2 nights daintree and cape tribulation

2 nights atherton tablelands Return car

2 nights port Douglas or cairns

Fly out of cairns

Not sure if I should make these plans in stone or just wing it depending on the weather as I know it could be not good?

Thanks loads for any suggestions or ideas would be very grateful.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairn itinerary do I have it right?

Yeah you've pretty much got the right idea but you should steer clear of Green Island - there are better, less commercial, and also less expensive islands. Not to mention the fact that green island is owned by the Japanese.

There is also quite a bit on those roads you'll be driving that you should be careful not to miss. Check out my website: http://wwww.mycairnsadventures.tk/

Picton NSW
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairn itinerary do I have it right?

Hi johny78

Where would you suggest to go snorkelling other then Green Island

Scoobie

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairn itinerary do I have it right?

Scoobie - travelling with a 6 mth old - appears you are moving around alot...I would stay in Cairns or Palm Cove for the first 3 nights. That way you can do a reef trip and Kuranda from Cairns or Palm Cove. You won't need a hire car if you stay in either location either. That way you can pick up a hire car on day 4 or 5 and visit Daintree/Cape tribulation. I would then return back to Palm Cove or Cairns, so it's only 30 minutes from the airport. If you have a 6month old, you can check out Muddies on the Esplanade in Cairns...it's great for little kids. Perhaps finish your stay near the esplanade so you can sit back and relax and enjoy the tropics by the water.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairn itinerary do I have it right?

Hi,

I would divide your time between Cairns & Port Douglas. As mentioned by Yvette leave Cairns for your departing as its the closest to the airport.

Port Douglas - Cape Tribulation / Great Barrier Reef / Daintree National Park - Stay 5 nights.

Cairns - Kuranda / Skytrain. - Stay - 4 nights.

or you could do this itinerary -

Port Douglas - 5 nights - Cape Tribulation - 1 night - Cairns - 3 nights

5. Re: Cairn itinerary do I have it right?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 21:22