We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cairns in February

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
cairns in February

I'm staying a month in Cainrs, Yorkeys Knob to be exact. I have heard that it is jelly fish season, does tat mean we cant go in the water and what is a stinger suit, is it expensive?. Does it rain there every day in February and can we snorkel (never done it), and husband not a strong swmmer at all so is it possible in shallow waters?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cairns in February

it is probably not safe to go into the water in an unnetted area.

a stinger suit is a full body suit similar to a wet suit but made from lycra. it offers considerable but not 100% protection from stingers as some body parts eg. face, are still exposed.

snorkelling from shore is not very productive. not a lot to see. u need to get to some of the offshore islands eg. low isles or better the outer reef to see the coral and fishlife. poor swimmers can get flotation devices to help them while snorkelling.

it will probably rain every day at some time during february.

its is also possible that an cyclone may develope ie. gale force winds, torrential sustained rain, flooding. in this case people are usually evacuated to designated cyclone shelters.

february is the wettest month of the year in that area.

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_031011.shtml

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cairns in February

Hi,

You cannot swim in the waters in February.. I would also be hesitant to with a stinger suit at this time of the year. Most of the hotels have fab swimming pools - so look for a hotel which has the best.

http://www.marinestingers.com.au/stingers/

Feb will have afternoon showers - its the tropics & cyclone season. January to March are usually the months of highest rainfall - usually fantastic steamy hot days followed by fresh tropical storms.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cairns in February

You can snorkel on the reef.

There are stinger nets on the beaches at Yorkeys Knob, which are designed to keep out the deadly box jellyfish. The beach is patrolled. Check with the lifeguards before swimming for the risks at the beach.

There are other beaches with stinger nets at Palm Cove and Holloways Beach.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 10:12
Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cairns in February

wow what a fantastic response guys. The information is brilliant if a little disappointing but we shall make the best of it and hey whats a drop of rain, I'm waterproof! thanks for your help

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cairns in February

sounds like we shall have to go south whilst we are there to avoid the heavier days of rain.I assume it is drier the further south you go

Would you recommend hiring a car for the month, does it work out more economical? Rates per day are reasonable at 35/38AUD a day from Yorkeys.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cairns in February

u have to go a fair way south to avoid the wet season.

monthly car rental rates are usually cheaper. that's a very cheap daily rate u quote. what size of car?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cairns in February

Well, it can be a drop of rain (usually heavy but in short bursts and often at night) unless you're unlucky to strike a cyclone, which is fairly unlikely. Lycra stinger suits these days cover most of body including head, hands and feet, and when snorkelling a mask covers much of face, and there is a stinger net at Yorkey's but do remember these are designed to keep out box jelly fish, not the smaller irukandji. But there's nothing to see snorkelling off Yorkey's beach or any other beach in area, you need to go out further to reef, where stingers aren't usually a problem. Once again, wear a stinger suit, all reef operators supply them.

I wouldn't risk it going south to avoid wet weather, Brisbane flooded badly last wet season and many other points much further south than Cairns.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cairns in February

I was quoting from a webste for the smallest cheapest rental car, maybe it is out of date, no way of knowing, what do you think is a more realistic figure?

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cairns in February

well thanks again, We arent too bothered about the rain really nd if its at night or just in short bursts then even better, after all its still hot, we live in Spain so we are used to hot humid weather, just a lot drier!! Thanks for the advice about stinger suits, we shall be booking a few trips to the reefs and going into the rain forest at Kuranda, Going one day by train and back and another day by cable car and back. We expect the rain forest to be wet! really amazed by the response to my messages, thanks again, cant wait, only 5 months 25 days to go

10. Re: cairns in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 15:15