We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfalls near Cairns

Margaret River WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Waterfalls near Cairns

Hi

Has anyone any suggestions for a route for a day/half day trip from Cairns that will take Mum, Dad and 12 yo daughter (from WA) to a few waterfalls where we can have a swim? Do we need to/should we bother to go far to have this experience? Sadly we only have five days, one of which we intend to devote to the Kuranda Train/Skyrail, and another to a reef trip (we've booked on the Ocean Freedom based on recommendations of others here on TA).We're not after anything too rushed, and aren't into buying stuff apart from food, and want to avoid driving for miles to see something we can get a taste of just around the corner. We have a hire car that is not 4WD and I believe Crystal Cascades is very near Cairns. Perhaps southwards will take us somewhere nice? En route to Innisfail perhaps? Your thoughts? Wander

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

What time of year are you in Cairns? The reason I ask is even in summer those waterholes/waterfalls are quite chilly.

Crystal Cascades is very close to Cairns and quite pretty. My preference, however, would be Josephine Falls or Babinda Boulders on the way to Innisfail.

Margaret River WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

Next week. Too cold for swimming in fresh water you think?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

Yes, I think so. I found them chilly even in February when it was so hot and humid that all you wanted to do was swim. Still went in though. :-)

Babinda Boulders, Josephine Falls and Crystal Cascades are all beautiful spots and still worth a visit.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

Mossman Gorge up North by Port Douglas is my pick, the water will be cold though, and the journey from Cairns to PD is about an hr long but all along the coast and really beautiful.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
2,065 reviews
5. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

Hi,

Just adding your other post to this one ...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k3746…

EM.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
381 posts
288 reviews
6. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

The waterfall circuit is worthwhile even without the swim. The only waterfall I saw people swimming at was Millaa Millaa, and it was pretty cool in late May despite the 80+ F weather.

The swim at Mossman is a pool in the river.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

we were at Josephine Falls in January - admittedly it was hot as hades - but the falls were just beautiful. Cool and refreshing but not freezing - a welcome reprieve from the heat and not overrun by tourists. Beautiful rainforst too ;-)

Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

we were just at Josephine Falls and it is gorgeous. It was an overcast day and the water was chilly- we climbed out on the rocks for pixs and tested the water. But right as we were leaving a large group was arriving from Uncle Brians tour bus (I think) all with towels and wearing swimming suits. sooo...

9. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 22:56
Tropical Far North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Waterfalls near Cairns

If anyone from Trip Adviser wants some quality information and photos on waterfalls near Cairns feel free to use anything you like from any of my websites including the one that was in my previous ( now deleted ) post.

It would be nice to actually have some useful information apart from so called 'experts' spouting on about areas they are not familiar with.

Cheers

Paul