We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns in February????

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns in February????

I am planning to go to cairns in Feb with my young family. After reading some reviews from a couple of nice hotels I have noticed a few people are complaining of cockroach infestations (or is that all year round) Not that I mind a bug or two.

Also is it hot hot or is it bearable that time of year. My only other worry is it is the rainy season and would it affect tours etc.

Other that that my bags are packed and can't wait.

Can't go on other time. Must take holidays in Feb.

If anyone can confirm my fears or tell me their is nothing to worry about.

Thanks Laura

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns in February????

With the heat there will also be a lot of mosquitoes. And I wouldn't go in the sea in February.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns in February????

Hi Laws and welcome to TA.

February as you know is not the best month to visit Nth Qld. If you know this and are prepared for any weather conditions then you are starting your holidays in the right direction.

Its also stinger season which means you cannot swim in the ocean without a stinger suit. However, there are plenty of hotels with swimming pools and a protected ocean netted pool.

Cockroaches are everywhere in Australia in summer...its apart of being Australian I guess..(get out the thongs ).

The weather is sticky and humid .. just look for a hotel with a nice swimming pool !

Have fun..

EM ☺

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns in February????

Have not noticed anymore cockroaches than in Sydney but many, many more ants. Mossies can be highly localised. I do not notice many day to day but took the dogs to a park once and there was a zillion of them.

Will not say there is nothing to worry about as that is simply not true, but will say that for many it is never quite as bad as they think it will be. For some worse if they are unlucky with weather.

It does pay to book your trips when you arrive and plan according to weather. For eg the skyrail. The waterfall can be much more dramatic in the wet season so is the best time to see, except if the mountains are clouded over then all you see is mist! Could be on such a day however that the reef is clear if it is mountain clinging rain rather than a monsoonal low.

Heat is not an issue as much as humidity can be. For eg Melbourne gets very hot as you would know, 33 is very hot here. You get sauna rather than blast furnace type of weather. I personally prefer than dry heat but then some don't.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns in February????

Thanks Verdant,

You just made me have a vision of the heat wave we had in Melb early this year. I may have to try and wait a few more months if work will let me. My kids (age 2 and 4) would probably cry and winge the whole trip if it is too hot and humid. What is the earliest month you would recommend for good weather in Cairns then for next year. Too many work commitments this year but I sure need a break.

Thanks Laws

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns in February????

Best time for boat trips are the latter part of the year after the end of the trade wind. As stinger season starts November 1 many choose October as the best month. Not my favourite as at the end of the dry not so lush and green but weatherwise suits many.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns in February????

Thanks,

Very helpful info.

Laws

7. Re: Cairns in February????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 16:18