We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help in Port Douglas

houston
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
Save Topic
need help in Port Douglas

Please need suggestions for my trip in port douglas first time. We will be in PD second week of june. Arriving the day in Crains then take shuttle to PD. we have that half day and next full day and another half day till 4pm. Then have flight to Sydney at 7pm..

Please let me know when we arrive in Pd on that half day what we can do. Next day we want to do GBR anything else we can do and next half day can we do Daintree and Cape tribulation. Or we need to rent a Car and do our own the last day.

If we take tour which tour company will be better and i suppose to book tour in advance.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help in Port Douglas

For the 1st half day, I'd recommend going to the Rainforest Habitat to see the animals without enclosures. Afterwards, you can have dinner in town, do a bit of shopping/window shopping and walk on the beach.

Is the shuttle picking you up at 4pm for the last half day? (They sometimes schedule your pickup rather far in advance of your flight time.) Anyway, assuming that the pickup is at 4pm, you don't really have time to drive to Daintree and/or Cape Trib. There's a ferry to cross over to Daintree and if it got backed up (which it does in the afternoons), you would likely be late for your shuttle and miss your flight.

Instead, I would recommend a relaxing half day on the beach or, if you want to see a rainforest, rent a car and drive to Mossman Gorge which is a short drive from PD. There's a great 3km round trip walk through the rainforest there and you could take a picnic lunch to enjoy after the walk. Then drive back to PD after lunch and do more shopping or beach time before you have to meet the shuttle.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help in Port Douglas

I would rent a car on your last day there. You can load it up with your gear and drop it back at the airport, saving you a bit of time. Also, check in for your flights on the web and you don't have to be there 2 hours before. Just check with airline you're flying with and the cut offs they have. You can check in online 24 hours before and just drop your bags off when you get there.

Hire a car and go up to the Daintree as early as you can. This means you can get on the ferry back early and miss the traffic. On the way back to the airport, stop off at Mossman Gorge if you have time.

houston
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need help in Port Douglas

Thank you so much for your responses.....LONGHORN74 you said the first half day we can do Rainforest Habitat i am sorry to ask such a silly question but what is that....After ckin in the hotel can we directly go there....or any another option we can take any tour on that day...

Any tour busses in PD so we can do that....For second whole day you didn't advice me we want to see GBR we need to take tour for that...which tour company cheap and good....For GBR that tour will take full day....

The last half day our flight is at 6:50pm from crains Virgin Blue....if we leave PD at 4pm ...5pm we will be in crains...is that will be ok ....on that day we rent a car and early morning go to Daintree....how long it will take from PD to Daintree....

Another important question is does anyone know when we are travelling to Crains from Sydney. At Sydney airport is there any storage so we can keep our luggage and how much they charge for one bag....

Thanks a lot again.

4. Re: need help in Port Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 19:22