We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Island v Fitzroy Island

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Green Island v Fitzroy Island

Can anyone tell me which is the better island, especially for snorkelling and a beginner dive? Husband will be diving and 3 early teen children will be snorkelling. Can only do one island, and would value anyone's opinion on these two. Thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
814 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

Sorry I can't be of specific help, but locally (in Cairns) Fitzroy Island is more where locals go and Green Island is more of a tourist place. And the truth is, you are going to be a tourist, so Green Island may be better geared up for you. Sorry, haven't been to Green Island for years and haven't been to Fitzroy yet, so not much help I'm afraid but I would definitely go with Green Island out of the two.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

We were on Green Island at xmas with 2 kids & there was some good snorkelling to be had. Some very large and beautiful fish around - especially near the Jetty.

The glass bottom boat is surprisingly good too.

It has been many years since I had been on Green Island and we were pleasantly surprised. There is a relatively upmarket resort on the island now ( day spa etc..) and some decent food and bars and you can lie around the pool in the shade if the beach is too hot ( or crowded).

Havent been on Fitzroy for years either but I know the backpackers like it. Not sure if there is much snorkelling though.

hope that helps

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

You haven't mentioned when you're intending to go.

I was hoping to go to Fitzroy island and stay a week ago but the new resort of Fitzroy island isn't finished yet. Supposedly end of March but these things tend to get dragged out...you might want to check with the resort management for an update.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

We will be going in early October, staying in Cairns, and spending one day on one of the islands. Have been out to the Great Barrier Reef a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it, and know that neither of the islands will compare, but my husband really wants to try a dive this time and thought one of the islands would be a good base for it, and also enabling the kids and I to relax on the island. Thanks.

Duck Key, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

If you guys (yourself & the kids) want to spend the day relaxing, while Dad goes off on a dive, then Green Island would be the ideal venue.

The Cat/boat that takes you to Green Island, drops off day-tripper/passengers, and then heads further out on the reef with those more adventurous souls intent on diving on the reef-proper.

Like most others on the forum here, I'm unsure if Fitzroy Island is suitable (due to amongst other things, ongoing "development" work) at this time.

Green Island is more suited to Kids activities anyway...and you can kick back and just wait for Dad to return on the Cat in the afternoon.

Cheers, and good luck..

Rick,

Cairns, Qld.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

Hey templc74,

I intend to go to Cairns at the end of March 2009 as well and was tussling between Green Island and Fitzroy Island.

Is it true that construction work has not been completed on Fitzroy Island?

melbourne, australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

hi PhoenixMelbourne,

We just got back from Green Island after staying for 3 nights and i would highly recommend it over Fitzroy Island. I have been to Fitzroy island twice as a day tripper and have stayed there for two nights (this is before the constructions). Been to Green Island day trip 3 times and have stayed for 3 nights as well. As a day tripper i would recommend Green Island if you're into snorkeling or diving.

In Green Island you can snorkel off the jetty and see some good fish and corals. We have seen sharks and flowery cods just off the jetty. I would also highly recommend a boat snorkeling trip from off Green Island - this is a very short boat trip, about 5 mins, the corals and fish are amazing. This cost about $30 but its well worth it. Green island diving centre offers this twice a day 10:30am and 1:30pm.

I wouldn't recommend a reef trip from Green Island if you are looking to dive. The destination is Norman Reef and they have a floating pontoon there. Snorkeling is good but diving is very boring, i'de hate to say it but i was bored half way during the dive and just wanted to turn back.

Its best to do a reef trip from cairns, you have more options.

8. Re: Green Island v Fitzroy Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 14:24