We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling GBR - Liveaboard or day trips?

Calgary, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkelling GBR - Liveaboard or day trips?

I am going to Cairns with family (20M, 21M and 50F) and we are really looking forward to snorkelling. We were interested in the prospect of a liveaboard for 1 or 2 nights, as it gives lots of snorkelling time without the commute to and from the reef each day. I was just wondering if anyone has insights on which tour company we should use? I would also be interested in doing maybe 1 introductory dive, with the rest being snorkels - is this possible as a paid upgrade, or do you have to choose either diving or snorkelling? (I am not certified)

Thanks in advance!

Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours
Reef Teach
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling GBR - Liveaboard or day trips?

Hey hope you still looking for advice.

If you would go with Deep sea Divers Den and wanted to an introductory Dive you would have to do on the first day.

Why?

All the safety briefings will be given on the way to the outer reef, on your first boat, before you board Ocean Quest(the swimming castle). You would be able to do the dive but it would be straight at the start of your trip.

Once you are on the liveaboard you will be just able go snorkling.

How mentioned before, the liveaboard is kind of a swimming castle. It got multiple stages with rooms, a common area and a room where the food gets served. It is massiv.

If you have any more questions feel free to give me a text. tim.d@peterpans.com

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling GBR - Liveaboard or day trips?

Have you considered one or two nights staying on either Fitzroy or Green Island?

Reply to: Snorkelling GBR - Liveaboard or day trips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted