We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DainTree Forest

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
DainTree Forest

I will have one day in Cairns and I want to do the Daintree forest. When reading the reviews it seems that hours are spent on the bus (picking up and dropping off people) instead of at the attraction.

Has anyone done the Danetree forest on their own (via use of rental car or taxi). Do you recommend it. Are ferry tickets available for sale?

Are there tour guides at the attraction that we can hire? How much can we expect to pay?

Are there any small tour companies that handle groups of <10 that you guys recommend. My group will have three people

10 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DainTree Forest

Well I can't drive so no experience of DIY but certainly it would be an option. I went with a small group tour Billy Tea Safaris from Cairns. Think there were only 6or 7 of us. There was certainly no time wasted picking people up. We all started from the same place.

It was a while back but it is still the same family that owns the company and they still seem to get positive reviews. I certainly had a wonderful time. Loved the picnic in the forest by a stream where we could have a dip. Then the bosrdwalk wwas just amazing. I probably would not have taken in so much of our guide hadn't explained and pointed out so much to us and with us being such a small group, we could all hear easily what was being said.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
8,181 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DainTree Forest

Yes, you can hire a car and explore on your own - many people do this.Just be aware of t's and c's on the hire car, as some will not let you take it on the ferry.

This does not stop you getting to Daintree Village or Mossman Gorge though.

Cheers.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DainTree Forest

I would usually say it is easy to do it yourself but as you only have one day I think you would be better advised to take a tour.

It is a two-hour drive along the stunning Great Barrier Reef Drive - so 4 hours' driving just to get from Cairns to the Daintree ferry and back again. Add another 40 minutes or so from the ferry to Cape Tribulation.. All local car hire companies allow their cars on the ferry, which is a large vessel holding about 30 vehicles and the road is sealed all the way. But it is a narrow, winding road and if you are not used to 'driving on the wrong side' could be quite challenging - and you wouldn't have time to enjoy the coastal views!

The Daintree covers a huge area from Mossman Gorge in the south up to and beyond Cape Tribulation in the north. Going with a tour (Billy Tea Safaris has a great reputation, as do many others) would be more relaxing and you would see and learn a lot more than if you tried to plan it yourself.

Have fun exploring our beautiful Daintree!

Edited: 28 June 2017, 08:30
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DainTree Forest

Just take a smaller group tour as the drive along the GBR road is truly spectacular. By driving yourself, I think you will truly be missing out on part of the experience.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DainTree Forest

I've worked in conservation my whole career in southern Queensland and we needed a friend who lives up there to know where to find the cool wildlife. I would definitely do a small tour if you can and if they offer it make sure it includes spotlighting at night. If you really want to see tree kangaroos, striped possums etc you really need to go at night with an expert as they are extremely difficult to find by yourself in the wild!

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
534 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DainTree Forest

Get a car and do it on your own, easy and scenic drive to Port Douglas, then inland to daintree, figure about three and a half hours to the ferry crossing.

Edited: 03 July 2017, 02:32
Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DainTree Forest

They have one day so a night tour is hardly an option!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DainTree Forest

Just a thought, if you're limited for time, you could drive to Mossman Gorge (only), which is located in the southern part of Daintree National Park, which takes about 1.5 hours from Cairns. But given that you've come from the other side of the world, it would be a pity to miss out on the ferry and the inner Daintree. Safe travels regardless.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,643 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DainTree Forest

Take a small tour in a jeeplike vehicle, like Billy Tea. We liked being told and shown things anout the forest we never woukd have noticed on our own, like how the plants grow to compete for light, etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
235 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DainTree Forest

I haven't been yet, but also from the US and also with limited time in Cairns and after a ton of research I chose this company:

http://www.waitawhile.com.au

Based on small group and wildlife (evening) focus and closer proximity. For me the odds (90%!) of seeing a platypus was a huge factor. I also decided to go to Hartley's with a small tour.

Reply to: DainTree Forest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted