We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer day in Cairns

Ronneby, Sweden
Level Contributor
251 posts
1,003 reviews
Transfer day in Cairns

Hi!

Would like to get the forum's thoughts on how to handle a "transfer day" in Cairns. Before leaving Cairns on a domestic flight at 6:55 pm, we've a day free to do something. The days before we've been snorkelling the reef and visiting the rainforest on a guided tour. So, what to do this transfer day? We've been looking into the Scenic Railway, Kuranda Village and the Skyrail as a arranged tour, but it seems rather stressed. 1h in Kuranda Village before heading back...Seems short. We've also looked into going to Hartley's Crocodile Adventure as an arranged tour, but same thing there - a rather cramped program (unless 1h 20 min is time enough to go from the hotel drop off, picking up the bags and getting on to a transfer to the airport - seems risky).

So dropping arranged tours we've been looking into going on our own somehow. How should we put this together? We'd like to be in good time for the flight with some extra time on top of that and we have to store (or bring) our luggage somewhere/somehow (probably storing it at the hotel). A rental car might be an option too. Public transport? Sure! Also an option.

Any suggestions on how to put this together?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

I would highly recommend hiring a car - safe storage for your luggage, and then you can go to Hartleys, take as much time as you like, and then possibly hesd to Kuranda for the afternoon. If you return your hire csr at 5.30pm, you will have more thsn enough time to check in for your flight - most airlines only require check in 45 mins prior for domestic.

Cheers.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

We're doing the same thing (transfer day). Going to visit the Tropical Botanic Gardens.

Edited: 06 June 2017, 11:04
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

We have done a similar thing ... we had a hire car, packed up and loaded the car and around 9am headed up to Kuranda. Visited a few waterfalls, had brunch at Frogs Cafe ... walked around the markets criticizing the souvenirs while our US friends loved them. Looked at some more scenery and headed back to Cairns to drop our friends while we headed to the airport. Our flight was around 4 from memory and we returned the car just before 3 and wandered over to the terminal for something to eat in the lounge. We had loads of time to spare. Cairns to Kuranda is only 40 mins drive and Kuranda to the airport is around 30 mins.

For Australian domestic flights check in we allow around 40 mins.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

Without being too much of a negative Nellie, the road from Cairns up to kuranda is a very twisty 60km road and although it's not an everyday occurrence there is a frequency of accidents that close that road for hours. Just a heads up on it rather than a warning. Extra caution of course if it happens to rain. An hour in Kuranda is short, but two hours is probably too long!

5. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2017, 23:45
Ronneby, Sweden
Level Contributor
251 posts
1,003 reviews
6. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure now that we'll go for the rental car, Hartleys and then maybe, if enough time, Kuranda village.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

Its got nothing to do with the distance. Its a very twisty road and accidents happen on a regular occurrence. As I said I'm not telling them not to do, just giving them a heads up that the road can close for a couple of hours when accidents occur and the other route down will take over 2 hours. Its just something to consider especially if its a rainy day when they are planning to head up. And what has being an Aussie driver got to do with it when they are from Sweden?

Ronneby, Sweden
Level Contributor
251 posts
1,003 reviews
8. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

Having the habit of answering my own questions once I've know how it ended, I'll do so this time too. I went for the rental car and Hartleys Crocodile adventure. It turned out to be such an interesting visit that it ate up all time for visiting Kuranda village. Either way, I would have hesitated to go up to Kuranda Village that day since I took a tour up the other road the day before and discovered how winding it was and learnt that the day before that, there had been car crashes on both roads simultaneously which had blocked both roads down to Carins. This was a risk I was not willing to take when I had a flight to catch. Otherwise, the road would have been great fun to drive. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

Thanks for coming back to us - yes, Hartleys is so interesting - we apent much longer there than we thought we would.

Glad you made your flight.

Cheers.

10. Re: Transfer day in Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 14:16