We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

Similar to CDX's recent thread but from a different angle. We are looking to migrate to Brisbane. We have DDs of 6 and 4 and a DS of 1. There's a plethora of suburb info on ourbrisbane.com but without knowing the suburbs its difficult to filter. Its obviously going to be subjecteive but we'd appreciate people's opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

as I have said a few times... where you will want to live depends a great deal on where you will be working and what you like to do.

My personal pick as a young professional working in the city are (in no particular order):

1. Bulimba/Balmoral - on the southside and on the river these are trendy inner suburbs, about 4km from the city. they are serviced by buses and city cat, and the morningside train station is not far away. oxford road a bulimba has many good cafes and restaurants, interesting boutiques and a cinema. there are also lots of nice parks and wide tree lined streets

2. Southbank/South Brisbane - this is where my parents live (people told me I was nuts to get married as it meant I was moving out of their apartment). only 10 mins walk from the CBD and boasting southbank, the cultural center and kangaroo point cliffs. there are many cafes and restaurants, brillient cinemas (cheap) with an IMAX screen... it is also a short walk to west end. it is serviced by the bus way, trains, ferries and city cat.

3. Manly - on the bay about 15-20mins drive (outside peak hour) to the cbd. this is a lovely area. granted some sections are a bit rough (especially around the train station), but down by the water is fantastic.

4. The Gap - this is the suburb I grew up in. it is a family suburb located to the north west of the city (about 8km). it is characterised by good parks, walton creek and myt cootha state forest. on the down side it can take a while to get to the city during peak time as the only form of public transport is the bus.

5. Camp Hill - on the southside of town about 7km fom the CBD. this is a leafy family suburb which is a bit more upmarket than some of the surrounding areas. it is just down the road from carindale shopping center and has lots of big parks, and a couple of nice little cafe precints.

6. Hawthorne/Morningside - located beside and inland from bulimba/balmoral with all the features of those suburbs but with a slightly lower price tag (this is where i currently live) they are sevriced by bus train and city cat

7. Rosalie/Bardon - on the north side of town about 2-4km out from the cbd. these are leafy suburbs on the city fringe. they have a thriving cafe culture, but are quiet and family friendly. they are serviced by bus, and are not far from the train and citycat

8. Sherwood - about 8-10km from town to the west north/west(on the south side of the river) this is a family suburb serviced by trains and bus. lots of parks and big tree lined streets. it is close to indooroopilly shopping center.

That is pretty much my pick.... other nice suburbs include Ashgrove, Kelvin Grove, Samford (if you don't mind the traffic), Arana Hills (same problem), Cleveland (a long way from the CBD) and Clayfield (a bit yuppie for me)

My biggest tip for picking a plcae is to pick somewhere on the same side of the river as you will be working. crossing the river in peak hour can add a lot to your travel time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

I am no expert on Brisbane but my brother and sis in law lived there for a couple of years and I thought the suburb they lived in was just lovely.

It is called Hawthorne/Bulimba (as mentioned by above poster) and was close to the river, close to the city. You could easily get a ferry to the city which would be a very pleasant way to get to work. The houses were mostly restored old Queenslanders and the main street of the suburb was charming and full of character.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

It's true about many factors contribute to which is a good suburb to live in. Where you work? Mode of transport? What you like doing on the weekends?

Generally if you like travelling or going to work in the city, you are better off on the North side of town. Suburbs like Hamilton (Hampstead of London), Asoct, Hamilton o Clayfield are all lovely suburbs to live in.

If you like the mixed cultural feel, West End could be your thing. If you enjoy clubbing each weekend Valley or New Farm is nice. One suburb which we foudn really good is Newstead, close to the city, extremely convenient if you drive into the city and on the brisbane river.

If you like more space then moving further out would be better. It also depends on whether you want to rent or buy a place.

Maybe if you gave us more info we could discuss further.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

Such a subjective topic, but Georgia's list is a pretty top one...Lets give it up for the mentioning of my hometown Camp Hill!

You will find when hearing from people, that most have strong north vs south side preferences, so I just ditch that and stick to the Eastern Suburbs.

As a teacher I can tell you that the choice of schools is just as an important factor in your decision seeing that you have little ones. Many schools have firm enrolment plans that require you to live in the geographic catchment area of the school. That means that a suburb or even two roads apart can affect enrolment.

Brisneyland is great for young families!

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

Thanks everyone for your excellent feedback - really informative, just what I was after.

I love the phrase "Brisneyland" - not heard that one before, its great!

On the schools front, we are Catholic so would be looking at Catholic schools out of preference. In London we would select areas by school, but the advice we were given previously on Bris' was to decide on the suburb and all the schools are good so just go for the nearest one - your comments gel more with what we would have thought!

Looking at the schools then, which are the best Catholic schools (secondary or high school level - although our children are only very young, aim would be to identify the best high school or schools and then just see what primary schools feed into it)?

The comments regarding what side of the river are excellent - I guess we would be looking at working in the CBD, so that would mean Northside.

Thanks in advance once again for all your advice.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

Hi again Halo,

Now that you have decided on Northside, I can recommend suburbs like Hendra, Hamilton, Ascot and clayfield. These suburbs are conveniently located near the highway for coastal weekend trips and near the airport if you intend to travel a bit. Also, living near a train station anywhere from bowen hills to northgate is excellent too if you intend to take the train into the cbd. Suburbs along here have 3 regular train lines running along so waiting is not as long

With regards to catholic schools in brisbane, check out

www.bne.catholic.edu.au/asp/index.asp…

All Hallows is a pretty good school has both pri and sec education and is located in the valley which is near the city, don't know how difficult it is to get into though

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

If you are looking for catholic education and are interested in living on the northside I would look to suburbs like Ashgrove, Bardon, The gap and Kelvin Grove.

In the General Area the main catholic schools are:

1. St Josephs (Bardon) - Primary School, Coed

2.St Ignatius School (Toowong) - Primary School, Coed

3. St finbarr's (Ashgrove) - Primary, coed

4. Marist (Ashgrove) - Upper primary and secondary, boys

5. Mt Saint Michaels (Ashgrove) - secondary, girls

6. Materdei (Ashgrove) - primary, coed

7. st Peter Chanel (the gap) - primary , coed

8. holy spirit (newfarm) - primary, coed

9. St Columba's (wilston) - pri mary, coed

10. all hallows (City) - primary and secondary, girls

11. St Josephs "terrace" (spring hill) - primary and secondary , boys

12. St Laurence's (South Brisbane) - primary and seconday, boys

these are the people you should talk to re catholic schools in brisbane http://www.bne.catholic.edu.au/asp/index.asp

Brit in Brisbane
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

I am a Brit expat who lives in Bulimba. Its a fantastic area, right by the river. Cafes, restaurants shops, cinemas and all within a 20 min boat trip to the city. One of the few areas where you dont need a car, everything is on your doorstep - which is fairly unique out here.

It seems that everyone from the UK, US, NSW or Vic who wants to move to Bris comes to Bulimba.

Neighbouring suburbs of Hawthorne and Balmoral are also nice.

We considered West End, Paddington and Rosalie but ultimately, they were too 'Urban' - and we'd have had a similar life-style to the UK there. Where we are now, we have the full on Queenslander and pool - and river breezes (which are important in summer).

The local co-ed Catholic Primary School is St Peters & St Pauls, and is one of the best in the city (get your name down quick) and there is an excellent girls Catholic secondary school called Lourdes Hill in Hawthorne.

Brit in Brisbane
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

I am a Brit expat who lives in Bulimba. Its a fantastic area, right by the river. Cafes, restaurants shops, cinemas and all within a 20 min boat trip to the city. One of the few areas where you dont need a car, everything is on your doorstep - which is fairly unique out here.

It seems that everyone from the UK, US, NSW or Vic who wants to move to Bris comes to Bulimba.

Neighbouring suburbs of Hawthorne and Balmoral are also nice.

We considered West End, Paddington and Rosalie but ultimately, they were too 'Urban' - and we'd have had a similar life-style to the UK there. Where we are now, we have the full on Queenslander and pool - and river breezes (which are important in summer).

The local co-ed Catholic Primary School is St Peters & St Pauls, and is one of the best in the city (get your name down quick) and there is an excellent girls Catholic secondary school called Lourdes Hill in Hawthorne.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the top 10 suburbs to live in, in order?

Visit the catholic ed, site as advised. Plenty of good options there, but again the suburbs do affect the nature of students. St P & P at Hawthorne as mentioned from experience has a very good reputation and a good community.

Seems much of the thread is encouraging the inner Easterns...go for it! Plus, all this demand might up our house value!