We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

Broome
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

Hi,

I love old queenslander houses and am visiting Brisbane for the first time since I was a child. Are there any suburbs in Brisbane which are more renowned then others for this style of architecture? We only there for a couple of days so anywhere reasonably accessible to walk around would be ideal.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

Easily catch a city cat ferry to Bulimba, lots of examples of homes in the nearby streets close to the ferry terminal.

Also catch a city cat to West End, Orleigh Park and a short bus to Paddington, that should keep you busy.

Enjoy!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

I saved your post Surfoz, if we ever get up to Brissy (wish list is way too long) I would love to see the Queenslanders, I just love that style!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

Well you do only have a couple of days but if you have the opportunity to go for a drive head out to Samford Downs and thereabouts for the (mostly new) rural acreage Queenslanders.

Jen

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

I also love the suburbs of Paddington, Bulimba, Balmoral & parts of Manly.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,509 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

As Ellemay said, Paddington, also Rosalie, Bardon, Red Hill, and have a look at the novel Zigzag Street by Nick Earls who lived at Red Hill, and south of the river, Camp Hill.

randomhouse.com.au/books/nick-earls/zigzag-s…

Broome
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Am looking forward to seeing them and will track down the novel Zigzag.

Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

Sadly old Queenslanders are diminishing quickly.

In the same areas you will also see Queensland architecture gone bad. Old houses are usually on large blocks so what the developers do is move the old house to one corner of the block and then build town houses or apartments around it. So what was a one house one car block becomes a multi tenanted site with lots of peope and cars causing more congestion and traffic on suburban streets.

Just up the road from my home - about six months ago an old Queenslander went for public trustee auction - it then was moved from the middle of the property to the front side and raised. Soon after two old queenslanders were transported to site with one placed beside the original and one behind it.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

So that's their idea of preserving the architecture? I don't know but I picture them with a bit of garden around, some palms and things, the sort of plants I can't grow down here.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

Hi,

Most of the areas mentioned are closer to the city and the majority of the houses you will see are 'workers cottages' for the larger more grand Queenslanders I would recommend Laurel Avenue, Chelmer or Ascot. If you go to Ascot you can take the city cat and walk up racecousre road which has a lot of coffee shops etc and then venture through the Avenues back towards the city direction. (not to make your way back to the city,.. way to far,its just that the other side of Racecourse Road has less interesting houses.)

10. Re: Queenslander architecture in Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Brisbane