We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll charges from Brisbane to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Toll charges from Brisbane to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast

Hi,

I'll be renting a car from Brisbane airport and then, driving to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. I understand there are toll charges on certain roads. How do I pay the toll? Is there a toll card and is it economical to buy it? Appreciate any advise on this matter. Thanks.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
674 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll charges from Brisbane to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast

There is a toll from the airport to the Gold Coast if you use the Gateway bridge. I think it is $4 at the moment but it may be slightly more. (I have an etoll tag so it is automatic for me.)

You can avoid this by travelling into the city and then out on the M1 motorway. However, this will take more time.

On your drive from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast there is not a toll. If you are driving from the Gold Coast to the Sunshine Coast again you can avoid the toll by driving through the city but it is easier to use the Gateway Bridge (it has a new name Sir Leo Hershler bridge...I think that is how it is spelt).

In saying all this you will find it quicker to travel via the bridge. There is no need to buy a toll card as you have 3 days to pay the toll after crossing the bridge. You go on to the Go Via website and pay using a credit card. Your hir car company should give you all that information.

Good luck. There are many signs for you to follow.

Edited: 13 October 2012, 20:40
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll charges from Brisbane to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast

Thank you so much for giving such comprehensive information. I almost rented a toll card from the car rental company. Looks like its not necessary after all.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll charges from Brisbane to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast

It isn't too difficult to find your way to avoid the toll road - out of the aiport you head along the Southern Cross Way and you take the Kingsford Smith Road exit, you follow the signs to the Inner City Bypass (Ipswich) and you get on the ICB it takes you through to the Riverside Expressway, which becomes the M1 Motorway all the way to the Gold Coast.

Coming to Gold Coast back to Sunshine Coast you just repeat that in reverse.

If you jump on any of the mapping websites, like www.whereis.com.au or googlemaps you should be able to print some directions in advance to take with you.

The thing to remember is that if you go through a toll in the rental car, the rental company may charge you an administrative fee for them to process the toll - so avoiding them is worthwhile.

Happy Travels

4. Re: Toll charges from Brisbane to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:19