We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast?

London, England
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast?

I am staying in Brisbane for a couple of nights then plan on driving to either the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast and cant decide which one, can anyone help???

I'm travelling with my boyfriend and have 3 days before we have to be back in Brisbane to fly on to Cairns.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast?

hi there

depends on what you want to do/see. if you want "Blackpool" go to Gold Coast - Surfers Paradise. There are however some nicer areas - Broadbeach. Otherwise I think Sunshine Coast has some nicer resorts without the tackiness and the highrises!

no doubt a local Queenslander will reply and bit more helpful.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,325 posts
2,127 reviews
2. Re: Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast?

It really depends on your interests are...both are interesting places offering lovely beaches, accommadation and restaurants..It also depends what time are you arriving..ie if December then Surfers Paradise is full of schoolies..

The Sunshine Coast is smaller and not so touristy without the high rise complexes as The Gold Coast.Personally I prefer the Sunshine Coast for its quiter environment..but it too can get busy at holiday times..you also have the lovely Hinderlands which are delightful to explore.

Both are one hour drive from Brisbane, different directions..Gold Coast (South)Sunshine (North). I would being adventurous by nature do the two..seeing each are so close together, and you have travelled a long way..pity to miss one.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast?

A hardy chestnut this one. If you want hi-rise and theme parks then go to the Gold Coast otherwise the Sunshine Coast which has Australia Zoo and Underwater World. The beaches on the SC are more protected at Mooloolaba and Noosa so are user friendly for surfing. You can visit both as you can bypass Brisvegas and they are only 2 hrs apart.

See accommooloolaba.com.au Both places have interesting hinterland rainforests.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
163 reviews
4. Re: Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast?

If you like lots of people, city on the beach type thing go to Gold Coast.

If you like more laid back and quieter, go to Sunshine Coast.

London, England
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast?

Thank you for your advise. We land in Brisbane on 16th April and leave on 21st so I suppose we could do both, I didnt realise they were only an hour either way from Brisbane. thanks again

Get answers to your questions about Brisbane