We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

I am 68 and had a triple bypass 5 years ago and have previously obtained travel insurance. After having a stress test and my injection rate only being 41% Ican only obtain partial insurance. My doctor has said I am healthy and would not have a problem overseas. Does anyone know an insurance company who would cover this condition.

I would appreciate any replies.

Lew

91 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

Contact Covermore they seem to have good flexible coverage.

The only person who knows for sure who will cover the condition you have or give you 'except for x" is the issuance underwriters.

You'll need to spend some time on the phone or via email to get correct details

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

have a look at southern cross insurance

scti.com.au/travel-insurance/travelcare-holi…

would appreciate knowing which insurer you do go with so would you come back and tell us? thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

Many actually won't cover you at all so it will be a long process to work out who will and if so, if it will be partial cover only.

Depending on where you're going, the cost of travel insurance may be quite high, and particularly if you have to pay an additional premium to cover what the TI companies deem to be "Pre- exisiting".

One option may be to get a Gold /Platinum CC and use the travel insurance associated with the card. NOTE - there are conditions to be met in order to get the "free" travel insurance. You can apply to have your pre-existing issues covered for a relatively small additional charge so this may be worthwhile investigating.

And BTW, if you do decide to apply for TI via the internet and the TI "accepts" you, you are best to contact the company to double check - speaking to a rep as opposed keying the data into a computer can sometimes result in two different responses.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

My Gold Card insurance will cover pre existing conditions on payment of an additional premium of $100. As most are underwritten by international underwriters you may be able to find similar conditions in Aust.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

Mine too providing my Dr completes the required forms and the underwriters are "happy" to accept it. I think the fee for mine is $50.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

Yes and that is the issue.

Making sure you have the dots crossed and ticked and inn triplicate because they will bounce you if you don;t give full disclosure.

There are some conditions that the underwriters will not accept under any circumstance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

So true GW ...

I ran into an Aussie couple at a hotel we were staying at in Sth America and our conversation turned to Travel Insurance. Seemed that they had purchased TI the year previously and when they were O/S, the husband had a broken his arm and at some point had a heart attack - all covered by insurance. For their Sth American trip, thyey went back to that same company to get cover, however they refused to cover him on the basis of his "pre-existing" illnesses !!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

Hi Lew. Did you end up finding a travel insurance to cover your ailing heart as this is the same situation my parents are in?? Much appreciated Debs

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

>>One option may be to get a Gold /Platinum CC and use the travel insurance associated with the card.<<

Not necessarily. The insurance provided with an ANZ Platinum Visa does not provide automatic coverage for existing conditions. I have to declare the conditions, and last year had to pay an additional $75 premium.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up going with Covermore who have put a $100,000 limit which cost about $300 extra. Suncorp and Cota did not want to know me. Even with a letter from the cardiologist saying he could see no problems and that I was very fit and healthy it made no difference. It is the heart pumping rate (because of damage to the heart) that was the problem not the fact of having a triple bypass. Hopefully I don't have any problems!!! Lew

Reply to: Pre-existing medical condition travel insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted