We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest the best value pre-paid sim card? Which company sells it?

There are quite a few, like Virgin, Three, Vodafone...etc, they all probably have different rates for calling mobiles/landlines/smses... Which would be the best one the best one to make local calls?

Are there any pre-paid sim cards that come with some data packages (mobile internet)?

Would appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

We use the Vodafone 365 card when we go to Aussie. The reason for this is that recharge only has to take place every 365 days as most others must be done monthly and there are free Vodafone to Vodafone minutes which makes it even more attractive and they are compounded everytime a recharge is done. A monthly top up for us would be a waste and an inconvenience.

I understand that Vodafone may have limitations in different parts of the country but I guess one needs to weigh up what and where one is going and do.

To activate a local SIM card one can needs to buy a SIM card and a top up voucher, passport details and an Australian address ( it can be the hotel you are staying at). It can be done from your phone once you have inserted your SIM card. It can even be done at the Vodafone kiosk at the arrivals area at the airport. It takes from minutes to up to 4 hours to become activated.

There are several threads on Aussie SIM cards on the "Australia" forum.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 11:19
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

The best value prepaid card may not be of any use to you if you are going to be travelling out of the major centres. Personally I would steer clear of the ones you mention but let us know where you will be travelling.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

I think the value comes from how much you want to uses the service and where you want to use the service. Vodafone and 3 are now one and the same. Virgin uses the Vodafone network.

http://www.vodafail.com/

Since you are traveling throughout the country (ie Cairns) then get Telstra or Optus as they have the best coverage outside the major cities. The preference of these two is Telstra.

Oscar

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

>>>Vodafone and 3 are now one and the same<<<

Vodafone owns 3, but the networks are not yet merged.

>>>Virgin uses the Vodafone network.<<<

Virgin uses the Optus network.

----

There are prepaid SIM cards from all carriers that come with Internet bundled. The best value plans for local calls will depend on whether you are making a handful of calls short calls or more. It is a competitive market, and if you pick a prepaid plan that is right for your usage level then you probably won't find more than a $10-$20 variation between carriers.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

inas66 thanks for correcting my mistakes, The Virgin network is using the optus network. I was led to believe that part of vodafone and 3's problems were trying to mate the Alcatel and Erricson towers from the 2 different phone companies.

Looks like there doing upgrades but there customer service is still an issue.

gizmodo.com.au/2011/…

Oscar

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

Thanks for the useful info, guys.

I'll be travelling in Brisbane & Cairns for 2 weeks, and only really going to be using my phone in Cairns (so really just using the sim card for 7 days).

Mainly, I'll be using the phone to make calls to tour operators for enquiries, and confirmations, dinner reservations and of course, sending international text messages back home (Singapore).

I was hoping to leave the laptop at home, and since my Cairns hostel does not provide free Wifi/Internet access, I think I might need some data connectivity (although I might be better off going to an internet cafe).

The most important thing really, is a good value prepaid sim card plan that charges low per minute calls without heavy connection charges and cheap international smses.

Any ideas what to recommend?

I'll also be going to Daintree area, and my hostel (Crocodylus) will not have any mobile reception, so come to think of it, I'll really just need to use the sim for a good 5-7 days or so.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

I found this deal from HELLO MOBILE which seems very ideal:

Provider : Hello Mobile

Plan : Supa Plan.

National Rates :Free calls locally with 25c flagfall (no premium sms or calls) and 5c sms. No MMS or video calling. Mobile internet is 3c/MB (charged in 333kb blocks?)

More info: http://www.hellomobile.com.au/?rate

International Rates? http://www.hellomobile.com.au/?rate_int (Free + 25c flagfall to mobiles and landline in China, India, Hong Kong, Singapore, USA..etc)

I wonder if anyone's heard some major issues with the provider?

See

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

There seems quite a bit of talk about Hello Mobile being very good value, so it's pretty encouraging. I think I'm gonna get the $10 starter kit which comesd with $10 credit. It should last me the duration of my stay, with most of the cost being the 25cts connection charges...

If I manage to make free international calls (with just 25cts connection charges), it'll be a bonus. :)

forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1711450

PS: It appears their customer service is pretty decent - for now, since they're newly promoting this new service! ;) I'm gonna take advantage of this before customer service drops as is expected with most companies.....!!! :P

9. Re: Best Value Pre-paid Sim Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 16:17