We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane day trips

Level Contributor
11 posts
Brisbane day trips

We (3 adults) will be in Brisbane for 4 days at the end of April, altho the first day is when we arrive from US, leaving only 3 for sightseeing. One day and most of a second are already committed (Australian Koala Foundation and Irwin's Zoo). Should we use the third for a trip to Moreton Island, or should we prioritize sites closer to/in Brisbane? Having only 3 weeks in Australia as a whole is, of course, forcing us to make difficult choices - but I really appreciate the help I am receiving from everyone's advice!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: Brisbane day trips

personally i wouls say that a day trip to morton island wouldn't be worth it. it is one of those places that requires a bit of time. i would go with a trip to st helena island (a convict settlement) which gives you a trip out on the bay, and a tour of a beautiful island with a fasinating history.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Brisbane day trips

Stradbroke Island is much easier to access and well worth seeing and is close to Brisbane. See www.stradbroketours.com.au

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Brisbane day trips

A visit to Southbank (located next to the Brisbane River right in the heart of the city centre) is a MUST. Great night markets there on Fridays. www.south-bank.net.au/home

A trip up and down the river on a "CityCat" ferry is also a great way to see the city (day or night). This is a good map http://www.brisbaneferries.com.au/maps.htm You'll go right under the Story Bridge in case you are interested in the bridge climb (try for sunrise or sunset).

Stradbroke Island is certainly lovely if you have a whole day to spare. If not, a trip to the Lighthouse Cafe/Pub at Cleveland Point will provide great views of Moreton Bay including views of Stradbroke. Hint - eat at the Pub rather than the Restaurant. Much cheaper. www.redlandstourism.com

London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Brisbane day trips

While I think southbank area is quite nice, you can see places like that, and probably better, all over Oz (and I'm sure you are going other places in Australia). I would suggest Stradbroke Island as well. It's one of the Islands off Australia after Fraiser Island. There's really nice lakes (Brown lake and blue lake) where you can go swimming in. If you go 4WD, just be prepared for a bumpy ride.

Have a good trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
163 reviews
5. Re: Brisbane day trips

If you are staying in the city and do not have transport, then I would definitely recommend Moreton Island. Although a 1 day trip to Stradbroke is possible, you won't have much time to get around. Straddie is beautiful but Moreton may be more practical for one day. Whatever you do, enjoy our neck of the woods.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Brisbane day trips

There are a lot of islands along Aus. If you like long hikes you must go to Stradbroke.

Many beaches.

As for me, I would advice a day in lovely Brisbane. The City Cat, cruising up and down Brisbane River is a must. South Bank has great restaurants and the City is impressive. Do some shopping in Queenstreet and have fun.

Get answers to your questions about Brisbane