We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

Melbourne AUstralia
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

We're having a "girl's" weekend in Brisbane in Oct ... young at heart but all in our 40's! Can anyone recommend a good pub or club to go to at night? We would like to eat, have a few drinks, maybe a dance, and just enjoy ourselves without feeling uncomfortable surrounded by 18 year olds! Thanks.

Edited: 09 August 2010, 22:58
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
173 reviews
1. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

You are posting on Sydney's forum as well; perhaps you want to decide which city first....

http://www.jazzscene.com.au/gigguide_qld.htm

if jazz & blues is your thing....

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

I'd recommend coming into Fortitude Valley (bear with me here!). Dinner at one of the Emporium restaurants (Three, Mecca Bah, Belle Epoque), then a few drinks either at the Emporium cocktail bar or find your way down the road to the cocktail bars of La Ruche, The Bowery and Cloudland. The crowd is usually a bit older than the standard 18-year old fare, even though everyone on the street looks like they're that young! I haven't been dancing while I'm out in a long, long time, so perhaps someone has some other ideas for that!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

aha, now this is right up my alley !

I venture out on girls nights a few times a year and these are the places we would usually go ;-)

As per GK - yes most roads lead to Fortitude Valley. Dinner at Garuva is always hilarious ( sit on floor in private screen off 'room's then perhaps a bit of dancing at The Wickham, Brisbanes iconic gay pub. Always good for some 80's tracks,lol...

Otherwise drinks at the Emporium Hotel, Cru Bar, perhaps Laruche and Cloudland. By which time everyone is either depressed or merry and we either go home or go for dessert at Freestyle Tout.

For a more casual night we head to the Story Bridge Hotel . Live music on weekend nights and a very diverse crowd - all different shapes and sizes. Sames goes for Oxford 152 which is in Bulimba.

Other great bars include Sling at West End and the rooftop at Limes Hotel.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

story bridge hotel is always a good starter. then head over into the valley or west end & find somewhere you like the look of.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
38 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

I would reccomend Cru Bar in the Valley if in the city area

or

Lychee Lounge or Uber if in West End

or

Oxford 152 if on the Southside

or

for a Friday night for after work crowd- try Fridays (before say 9pm when the teeny boppers arrive) or Pig n Whistle at Riverside.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
226 reviews
6. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

This is looking like a dangerous group of women, prepared to play in Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, sleeping is obviously out of the question.

I'll stay safely this side of the ditch.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

well given that none of the forums have ever heard from them again I am leaning towards a lazy journalist hastily putting together a 'girls weekends away' article. On sale at a newstand near you soon.....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

I suggest the Plough Inn at the South Bank. You can have a meal, a drink and a dance there and it attracts a bit of an older crowd. ie there's no duff duff...just pub songs. They usually have a singer on Fri and Sat nights. They close at 12pm. You could head to Grey Stones, which is on Little Stanley Street afterwards. It's pretty low key.

Or go into West End. Archives is a nice quiet place I like going there to have a chat with friends and there's a night club up stairs called Uber if you're feeling like breaking out some dance moves. Also, the Rumpus Room is a person favourite. It's just past the Suncorp Bank.

I think if you do end up going into the Valley you MUST go to Cloudland. That venue is amazing.

Hope you have fun.

9. Re: Nightlife for girls in their 40's?!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 18:30