We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bribie Island

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Bribie Island

We are considering a day trip out to Bribie Island, but when I was looking up things to do there...I can't find very much info. I know we can walk the beaches but what else? So locals...can you tell me if there is anything to see and do on the Island? Would it be worth our time or better to go somewhere else?

Thanks

donna

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bribie Island

Bribie Island is lovely, it is about 40 mins north of Brisbane, and the bridge over is toll free, it is quiet and good for fishing, as there is both calm water and the surf side, although the surf is small as it is protected by Moreton Island. My Uncle and Aunty used to live here, and I just loved going fishing there, as many choices.

If you really want to see pristine beaches and perhaps whale watching (July to September) or dolphin feeding I'd recommend Moreton Island or North Stradbroke for a day trip. If you like birdlife go to other Moreton Bay Islands like Macleay or Karragarra. Karra has a lovely white beach but no facilities like shops take a picnic, Macleay has much more to see and do. I love the birdlife there, and having lunch at the Bowls Club right on the water and you can see for miles and miles.. Ferries go regularly(15 mins or so) from Redland Bay

Try www.visitbrisbane.com.au and click on Moreton Bay Islands or www.tangalooma.com

These are my preferences, but sure there'll be some Bribie Island lovers who may post on here.

I think it's good to get varying ideas, have a lovely holiday

Edited: 09 July 2010, 23:03
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bribie Island

Bribie Island is very much a sleepy hollow. If you have a 4WD and then you can access the Eastern beaches but this also requires a permit.

There are ecotours you can do there.

http://www.ferryman.com.au/

Hope this helps

Oscar

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bribie Island

If you like to fish, then you are in paradise but yes, err it is bit too quiet for most.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bribie Island

Give it a miss - nothing happens at Bribie except for people dying to leave it.

Head to the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast where there is some life and something to see.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bribie Island

Thanks for all your input. I think we will skip Bribie and head to Moreton or North Stadbroke. We made it too Mt. Tamborine this past weekend. LOVED it. would like to go back as the people who took us were not big hikers. But I don't see a way to get there via public transit. Do any of you know if that is possible?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bribie Island

Hello again,

Glad you decided against Bribie Is there's not much to do there. To get to Mt Tamborine, go to www.mountaincoach.com.au they pick up at Helensvale Rail station, you'd have to catch a Gold Coast train to Helensvale.

Also if you want to catch a ferry/water taxi to North Stradbroke, the timetables for both the Gold Cat and Stradbroke ferries is on www.redlandstourism.com site hope this helps

7. Re: Bribie Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 17:15