We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Money

HI Going to Brisbane via Singapore (3 nights) in August to live and work for 12 months. Can someone please tell me what is the best way to use money for the first 6 weeks until I start getting paid. Travellers cheques in $A or £, debit account linked to uk account or what?

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Contact your UK bank for a debit card to use at ATM's

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

I wouldn't bother with travellers cheques - haven't seen them in years. As Nurioopta has said, contact your bank and obtain a debit card that you can use at ATM's here. As a back up plan, it would also be worthwhile having either a Marster card or Visa card - just in case of emergencies.

I would also bring a small amount of Aussie dollars, or exchange some pounds at your first arrival in Australia, as you need cash as soon as you leave the airport.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

Debit account and card, definitely. Nationwide used to do one without o/s fees.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Nationwide now pass on the visa fee if its outside of the "eurozone". 1% I believe.

Might be worth checking out the Post Office and Abbey National who I believe have similar accounts.

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Many Thanks for all your suggestions

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

Hi open an account with ANZ, westpac or commonwealth banhs in UK; get a card and the withdraw at airport, You can do this online. very easy

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

Many thanks;going to get PO card.

8. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 16:16