We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Brisbane from Airlie beach

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
To Brisbane from Airlie beach

We are trying to decide whether to drive or fly this stretch.(we have 2 drivers)

I know that its 700 miles but we have 6 days to do it ...so we can take our time. Main priority is to see the Sunshine Coast. Price wise (including petrol) there is not much difference in driving or flying to Brisbane and hiring a car and then driving back up to the Sunshine Coast.

We quite fancy driving as by this time we will have had a lot of plane journeys and it would make a change - but the question is - is it worth it? What would your preference be if you were in our situation (ie been on a lot of planes)? Has anyone done this and can recommend a trip plane - we would like to drive as much as possible on the first day.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

For the sake of time, we flew.

Since you have 6 days, I would look at what's on the way, and see if you would rather see that, or spend more time on the Sunshine Coast. We spent a week on the Sunshine Coast, and were sad to leave. It's so relaxing, yet with lots to do, I could probably spend a month. It's the kind of place meant to spend some time unwinding, rather than just driving past and saying "look, there it is!" So if 6 days is ALL the time you have, then fly.

If you are spending a lot of time on planes and in airports, I find I prefer to spend more time relaxing at one destination rather than spending every day in the car on your way to another destination.

But if you already have a week or more for the SC AND 6 days to get there, then some of the stops may be worth your time, such as Hervey Bay and Fraser Island or Bundaberg.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

And I found the Queensland Auto Club's website excellent for helping me plan driving itineraries around Australia. You can find the route between 2 points, and have it show you attractions, restaurants or hotels along the way.

racq.com.au/cps/…trip_planner_ENA_HTML.htm

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

Thanks for the link1 I have been looking everywhere for a trip planner!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

It can be a long and boring drive but if you have time for detours and time to visit towns, you will enjoy it.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

What do you think of this itinerary?

Day 1; Airlie to Rockhampton 300 miles

Day 2: Rockhampton to Hervey Bay 243 miles

Day 3: Stay in Hervey Bay -trip to Fraser island

Day 4: Hervey Bay to Noosa 116 miles

Day 5: Noosa to Glass House Mountain

Day 6: Glass House Mountain to Brisbane

There wouldn't be a lot of driving Day 4,5 and 6 so we would be able to enjoy the scenery and visit places on the way from Noosa to Brisbane

Mad or what? - ...or fly to Brisbane pick up car & drive about 90 miles to Noosa and spend 6 days making our way back to Brisbane from there?? (I know that Fraser Island trips can be done from Noosa)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

Looks good.

Glasshouse Moutains to Brisbane won't take you a day unless you plan to visit Australia Zoo.

Stop at the Cave's Hotel north of Rockhampton, nice spot.

You could also detour from Rockhampton to Yeppoon if a day visit to Great Keppel Island is of interest.

cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

Hi Esther,

The drive from Airlie Beach to Brisbane is unfortunatley not the most interesting one. There is only one place you will glimpse the water and it's from Clairview (approx. 1,5hr from Mackay). However, there are some beautiful places along the coast if you sidetrack a little bit.

Prepare yourselves for the drive south of Carmila to Rockhampton. This area have many accidents due to fatigue so take due care. (There are warning signs along that stretch).

Airlie Beach - Yeppoon (on the coast from Rockhampton).

Yeppoon - Agnes Waters (Town of 1770). Located south of Gladstone

Agnes Water - Hervey Bay - Fraser Island

Fraser Island - Rainbow Beach.

You can see the south point of Fraser Island upclose from Inskip point, north of Rainbow Beach. That peninsula is beautiful.Tin Can Bay is a pretty little fishing village too.

Rainbow Beach - The glass mountains and Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin)

Noosa (Drive through Maroochydore and Mooloolaba when heading south).

Let me know if you have more questions.

All the best,

Christine

PS. I'm sorry you got caught up in a "domestic" last time on this forum!! ;)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

Your itinerary looks good. I would arrive in Noosa on day 4 and plan to "stay" there until day 6. Lots of stuff can be seen in the area and then go back to the same hotel every night. We didn't spend much time visiting the GHM. We stayed in Caloundra, and drove past them a lot. The zoo is interesting, but maybe not to your interests?

Look closely at the day tours from Hervey Bay to Fraser. We ended up not going because we didn't have time for more than a day trip, and the day trips seemed to just scratch the surface. And they were quite expensive. If you can't get a good one from Hervey Bay, I'd just keep driving in order to have more time on the SC.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

I would be more inclined to get the drive over with so you can relax. My husband and I drove to Airlie beach in one day. We left bris at 5am and drove into Airlie at about 5pm. Same for the return trip.

But to me, 6 days driving would be a waste of time. And if seeing the sunshine coast is your priority, I would cut down the driving days, and spend more days at the coast. You can still drive, but do it in less days.

10. Re: To Brisbane from Airlie beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 12:20
Get answers to your questions about Brisbane