We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hour layover with 8 year old as we return to nz from Bali

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
10 hour layover with 8 year old as we return to nz from Bali

We have to stop over in Brisbane for around 10 hours, we will be returning from holiday so won’t be loaded with cash, I’d like to at least head int Brisbane for a decent cup of coffee and do something interesting with my daughter that’s not expensive, firstly is it cheapest to take the train? If we take the train where would be best to get off and have a look around? I’m thinking art galleries museum. This is in July, will it be warm? So just to do this (transport to Return to airport and an entry fees for museum or gallery) what would the cost be?

1 reply
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
54 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: 10 hour layover with 8 year old as we return to nz from Bali

Hi Jen,

Brisbane will be cooler than Bali, but should be t-shirt weather during the day. You don't say what hours you are in Brissie so I'll assume mostly day time hours? After a Bali holiday you may want your jumper morning and night.

Is it just the two of you? If so, train is definitely cheapest and easiest. If three, a taxi may be more cost effective, but not by much.

What I like to recommend for a day in Brisbane is this:

Take the train to Southbank Station, walk through the parklands and find a coffee/breakfast there, continue to wander north along the parklands, then visit the Qld Museum and GOMA/Qld Art Gallery (all are free unless there are special exhibits on) then, if you have time, head in to town to City Hall and the Museum of Brisbane and a short tour up the bell tower (all free). After that, head to Eagle St Pier for dinner - cheapo to expensive depending on your budget - huge amount to choose from) and then take the Citycat downriver (small cost - public transport, can pay cash) to Hamilton at Brett's Wharf. Citycat is a great way to see the city. You can get off there and call a taxi from the pub across the road, and take a 10 minute cab ride back to the airport.

Cheers.

Reply to: 10 hour layover with 8 year old as we return to nz from Bali
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted