We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chritsmas day in Brisbane

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Chritsmas day in Brisbane

My children and I are travelling around Australia and will be in Brisbane for Christmas day.

It's one day I'd really like to have planned, as I'm guessing lots of things will be shut.

We've booked a Kookaburra showboat cruise for breakfast, which will see us through till about lunchtime.

Anyone got good ideas of what to do?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Kookaburra Inn
Kookaburra Inn
262 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
5 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chritsmas day in Brisbane

Since you're coming from the UK I'd go with something very Australian. The next best thing to a beach in Brisbane is the Man made one in Southbank. I'd try and get some BBQ food and fine a BBQ in Southbank for dinner. If you don't want to cook, get yourself a heap of prawns (best to try and order) and have a picnic.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chritsmas day in Brisbane

Yes, shop for your food and beverages the day before, and take a picnic to Southbank or Kangaroo Point. If you dont have a large fridge in your accom, ask if they will store your food for you. All but the 7-11's will be closed on Xmas day, but some of the Asian restaurants may be open for dinner. Most upmarket restaurants will be open for a set menu lunch and close for dinner.

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chritsmas day in Brisbane

A picnic is your easiest solution ... restaurants will be only open for pre booked lunches and expensive.

Southbank Parklands are a great place to spend the day by the man made beach, grab a spot and have a barbecue.

The Pig'N'Whistle English pub in the Queen St Mall is open Christmas Day ... if you want a traditional UK lunch they do it ... you could contact them for prices as they are not listed yet. Don't bank on getting Brussel Sprouts though!

Sweetbiscuit is just a TINY bit wrong, most IGA supermarkets are open Christmas Day, there's one near Southbank in Melbourne St. They won't have absolutely everything available to plan ahead.

Edited: 18 September 2017, 07:37
Mentioned in this post
Southbank
Southbank
1,865 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chritsmas day in Brisbane

While Southbank has a lot of public BBQs and would be great for the kids (the man made beach and pool on the Brisbane River), it is possible there might be high demand on them. I'm not really sure about Christmas Day but you should be prepared to wait for a while and stake out a BBQ if needed. Bring a picnic blanket in case there's not tables available, and your utensils and plates. If your kids can't wait, then the cold picnic lunch is a good option (especially pre-cooked local prawns fresh from a seafood market the day before, a very Brisbane Christmas lunch!)

Securing cooked prawns the day before can also be an experience - research this if you're going to do it because people will line up and some places only take booked orders so close to Christmas. There can also be a shortage at that time of the year.

Another option might be to commute down to Surfers Paradise and spend the afternoon on the beach, coming back in the evening. Public transport operates on a Sunday timetable on public holidays (much less frequent, early ends). You can research public transport options on Google Maps (remember to set your departure/arrival dates as 25 Dec). It's quite a trip to Surfers, allow a couple of hours each way. Much easier if you have a car hired.

Finally, expect it to be Hot and Humid around Christmas! Temperatures are usually around 30 degrees Celsius with high humidity. The sun burns (apply and reapply SPF 30+ sun screen regularly) and the humidity can knock young ones around with the heat. Make sure there's plenty of shade and keep hydrated. We can have some occasional days up to 40 degrees, and some humid days have storms in the afternoon (wind, lighting, and very infrequently hail). If you're around Southbank, there will be plenty of places to shelter.

There's a cinema at Southbank - might be a great time to catch a kids movie too.

Mentioned in this post
The Brisbane River
The Brisbane River
3,581 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chritsmas day in Brisbane

Good idea to plan in advance - but I would plan 2 options:

a very hot sunny day - 90% probability - in which case a pool or air conditioning is essential

a wet, windy,cool day repeating Christmas day 2016 - in which case - you need option b.

I'm going to agree with the above experts, but add a bit of additional context.

Christmas day and Good Friday are by a long long way, the peak demand days for both fresh Mooloolaba and East Coast Fishery prawns - whilst supply may not be a problem (dependent on weather really), prices will be higher than other times of the year. The line at Sammies Girl, Morgan's, Gambaros and Rufus/Raptus is usually about an hour long on Christmas eve. The cheaper substitute - from South East Queensland prawn farms will not be back in production before then, due to the effect of the White Spot Disease on the farms. Some imported farmed supplies may be available in Woolworths/Coles by then.

There are several 4-5 star hotels and RSL/League clubs that offer special Christmas lunches - and these can be great (albeit more expensive options than usual - to be fair - staff should be paid a premium for giving up their family time on Christmas day). Here are 25 hotel/restaurant options stylemagazines.com.au/food/…

Southbank, and especially the pool area, will be crowded if its a hot day. If your hotel has a half-way decent pool, there are many other parks worth considering to avoid the crowds, especially Roma Street parklands, New Farm Park and the Botanical Gardens (although it doesn't have a BBQ).

Many Aussies enjoy a game of backyard cricket - but in the park - after lunch - and being under the influence of the Christmas "spirit" would surely be happy to share their bat and ball and be up for an "Ashes" series....but BYO beers...

Edited: 20 September 2017, 19:16
Mentioned in this post
New Farm Park
New Farm Park
332 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia