We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain Car Rental experience @ Brisbane

Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bargain Car Rental experience @ Brisbane

Checked various car rental websites, only a few offers off hours pickup.

Flight arrival is past midnight so all car rental offices are closed.

So I decided to go with this Bargain Car Rental whose website seems nice and it has unlimited millege etc.. and has the car I wanted.. price seems ok.. perfect. No one replies to my email for an hour ish.. so I called to confirm if I can pick up the car at 2am... they said no problem, just follow instructions on the email after I placed booking... So I happily booked the car online.

Here comes the nightmare. As I am flying the following day and I was in a rush to get all the bookings confirmed and settled, it was a nightmare to see auto booking email reply from the company , stating that they will reply to me to confirm my booking. Gosh.. ok.. fine, that's quite common but usually a confirmation will come in pretty quickly during office hours.. so I waited, while I sent email inquiry regarding pickup and dropoff issues.. no replies.. then when I received a reply it was for an inquiry that I sent 1-2hours ago... But they didn't reply to my question about my booking confirmation at all, so I got really stressed and replied the email that they sent to me as well as web message on their website.

The problem is, this company has a cancellation policy of 24h to 7days. $100 penalty for cancellations. But it doesn't say if this applies if they didn't confirm your bookings. Was a bit wtf.. you can't confirm my booking on the spot and I have to wait hours for confirmation and yet I might be charged $100 if I decided not to use your company's service because replies are lagged 2-3 hours?

Finally I gave up at 3H 40mins.. after my booking and decided to send request to cancel.. wow. I received an email telling me they cannot fulfill my booking and my booking has been declined. Well this isn't helpful.. when I am flying off the following day XD partly my fault for making this last minute booking though.

Fortunately while waiting for their amazing ly slow and unsynchronized replies , I made a separate booking on Budget which offers free cancellation (as long as you cancel in advance prior to pickup day I think) and I had good experience with Budget @ gold coast pickup and Brisbane airport drop off..

The location of bargain car rental is outside the airport , but they do offer free pickup. Off hours charges apply at about $33. Which is reasonable.

But if you are booking in a hurry, do not go for this company. Since you can't get fast confirmation and replies are dead slow. International travelers should avoid this at all costs.. unless you are booking a few weeks in advance and you are able to wait.. then maybe ok. But tbh budget Avis etc bigger companies are more conveniently located and you can return direct at airport n straight to push luggage to check-in counters (lift / travelators)

4 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,612 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bargain Car Rental experience @ Brisbane

A 2 minute Google search would have given you the heads up on this company. I have to say though expecting an almost instant response to email questions is a bit harsh ... not sure what company does that.

For future reference book this kind of stuff well in advance and avoid these issues.

Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bargain Car Rental experience @ Brisbane

Well, you get what you pay for.

Howick, Auckland
Level Contributor
4 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bargain Car Rental experience @ Brisbane

We have just had a great experience with a five day rental from Brisbane Bargain car rentals. Lovely staff, prompt pick-up and delivery, nice premises, car in excellent condition (Hyundai Accent) - absolutely no problems, wouldn't hesitate to and likely will book with them again. Bonus, "just fill the petrol when about 50km from the airport when returning" - saved us the usual last minute hassle of trying to find a petrol station nearby.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bargain Car Rental experience @ Brisbane

Thanks #3 - we are picking up a car from them on Wednesday - the rpice was right, the kms are unlimited, it was either free or minimal cost for the 2nd driver. i checked the internet - the reviews are pretty good - I don't need a flash new car - just a reliable one

Reply to: Bargain Car Rental experience @ Brisbane
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted